Zoomed in 360 spherical pano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoomed in 360 spherical pano

I am very familiar with creating 360 spherical equirectangular panoramic images using the camera override settings but i want to create a 7x zoomed in version of the pano and when i apply the zoom, the camera override seems to, well, override my zoom setting and the output is the same as the 1x zoom...

Any thoughts on how to do this? THANK YOU!

did you render 7x the resolution?

or are you only after a partial pano?

Comment

What would a zoomed-in version look like? It can't be still 360...

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

In the old days I used FSPViewer and with that you could change the FOV in realtime while looking at the pano by just scrolling the mouse wheel. I was also rendering at 10K that time to keep the "zoom" crisp
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

Wouldn't you just render the thing at 7 times the resolution you normally would?
          Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
            Wouldn't you just render the thing at 7 times the resolution you normally would?
            Pano in general should be large res. Especially if you're planning on viewing fullscreen. Think of it in the same way as a sky hdri. If your HDRI is lowres, your lighting and reflections won't be as detailed and crisp. But regardless of the HDRI res, what you see in the view is always the same. To see more clouds, or less clouds, depends on your FOV, regardless of the HDRI res (unless the res is so small that you just see one big blur)

I think what burtonr is wanting, is to view the pano, but zoomed in. In other words he wants a different FOV when viewing the pano. A 360 override will always give the same "FOV" when you look at the flatenned image. The way I understood the question, was that he wants to view the PANO, in a zoomed in manner, ie a different FOV (regardless of the typical standard you get from an equirectangular). So then it is up to whichever viewer is used to actually view the pano, if it has the functionality to change the FOV.
            Last edited by Morne; 17-07-2015, 04:37 AM.
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
              I think what burtonr is wanting, is to view the pano, but zoomed in.
              So rendering 7x the resolution then.

pano2vr has settings to adjust the mix/max fov when you export.

Comment

Yes, zoomed in is what i am after not higher res (res is currently 20K x 10k). I would think it would still be 360 as the vector along the camera lens does not change, just want to zoom (like binoculars) to the elements in the distance but from the same stationary camera position. I am actually creating a virtual binocular presentation/effect.

I am after a full 360 spherical equirectangular projected image.

Comment

I dont think you've fully thought through what you're asking.

Comment

Here is the issue:

Zoom is ignored in 360 camera override. I am shooting a non zoomed image from a hillside looking out onto an active bay, as well as one where the camera has a 7x zoom. The output is coming out the same in the 360 image. Turn the override off and you can see a dramatic "zoom" as expected. Turn it back on and the zoom is ignored. I realize that with resolution and other packages, you can create a FOV blend but i need to quickly "bake" a zoom into one of the panos at the same resolution as the one without zoom.

Comment

So you want to render a region of a small part of the pano which is 7x, and have that pasted into the lower res full one?

Comment

No, i would like to render the 360 pano from a zoomed lens.

Comment

you understand that with how panoramas work that would simply be increasing the resolution?

Comment

Unfortunately the viewer i am using does not have change of FOV functionality (yet). I am creating a proof of concept that shows the scene zoomed in from the same vantage point of the non-zoomed pano. I am currently just swapping 2 images instead of real-time blending. The images are 20K and the detail in the scene holds up. The issue is my camera at 1x zoom and my camera at 7x zoom end up being the same when the 360 lens override is applied.

Comment

Its all about how your viewer is interpreting the image, not about how you are rendering it. To get a closer look at something in the pano the viewer needs to slow less of the pano, the full pano will always cover the same amount of degrees.

Comment

Working...
                              X