Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List of the various different pre-passes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of the various different pre-passes?

Hi folks,

Is there a clear list of what could cause vray to run a "pre-pass"?

My understanding is that they occur whenever you use GI and/or whenever you use interpolation (reflection or refraction). But are there additional things that result in vray needing to run a pre-pass before the main "Rendering image..." pass?

I have a scene right now that uses no interpolation on any materials, no displacement, but seems to run through a particular pre-pass that is darker than the initial GI pass and looks suspiciously like an interpolation pre-pass but isn't. I'm wondering if I have a rogue material or object that's causing this and might be slowing the render down.

Can't post the scene due to NDA unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Alex York
    Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Sounds almost certainly like it's either an SSS prepass or a reflection/refraction interpolation prepass. Check your materials.
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
      Sounds almost certainly like it's either an SSS prepass or a reflection/refraction interpolation prepass. Check your materials.
      Yep that was my first thought but I ran the VMC script on the scene and removed any trace of interpolation. There might be some SSS left over from a dodgy imported model though, I hadn't thought of that, will re-run the script!

Cheers,
      Alex York
      www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Do you have any SSS or skin material set to pre-pass mode? Also do you still get the pre-pass if you override the scene materials?
        Last edited by Zdravko; 30-07-2015, 05:07 AM.
        Best regards,
        Zdravko Keremidchiev
        Technical Support Representative

Comment

I'm currently rushing to get this out the door but once it's done I will start diagnosing the scene and will report back.

Thanks,
          Alex York
          www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

VMC is awesome, but Zorb is your best friend to have a bird eye on your scene.
            You'll definitely pick us straight if there is some SSS and be able to select to object containing it to resolve the issue.

My 2 cents

Stan
            3LP Team

Comment

Working...
            X