Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing 6:1 Cube renders for VR

Hey all

I have been experimenting with the 6:1 cube renders and VR. The results are working fairly well for viewing in my Samsung Gear VR and now I would like to start editing those images in post-production; this poses quite the issue though as its all split up and in stereo.

Has anyone come across a way to merge the images together/wrap in order to edit one image and then re-cube the stereo image? Or maybe there is a better way to export from Vray in order to have one image to render - then edit - then export to cube 6:1 format?

As always, any and all insights into this are appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Greg

Fusion!

This is a render made up of a background pass (top left), raw light comp, bg glass 1, and bg glass 2, then on the bottom row we've got foreground, a composite, foreground glass and some extra effects and color correction.
    the mutimattes are the green ones along the top line of each box going into a color correct or curves adjustment.

The benefit of this is that you can do the postwork on a normal 35mm camera looking ahead in photoshop, convert it to fusion, then relink all the inputs to the newly rendered 6x1 files and everything will automatically be correct. once you've decided the blue in multimatte 6 should have these adjustments, you're good for any future revisions.
    If I were to animate this or move some geometry around updating the postwork is about 15 minutes work.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Neil!

I have not yet made it to Fushion but part of what I am looking for is if I want to paint something in a area after its been rendered, or paint OUT a part of a pass then it needs to be done on both L and R images. Another potential "hazard" with that painting method is since they are all rotated funky, if I dont paint exactly what I painted from the L side to the R side then the image is thrown off.

Does that make sense?

Comment

It does, but you cant. hand painting areas of a l&r image is only possible if you do it on one side, make an alpha, apply it to an object in the same spot in 3d space and re render. it's easier just to fix it in 3d and render a region.
        You need to change the way you work if you're coming from a painting heavy postwork style and doing stereo images, treat it like an animation.

I did all postwork and 'finished' that image with a 1500px wide shot looking straight ahead before rendering the full 360 ones. We get all comments and approvals done on those, then we render the 18k's once and they get a round of minor adjustments.
        Last edited by Neilg; 03-08-2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks Neil, changing some workflows for the Panoramas was what I was afraid of but it makes sense. Good thing those things are so damn cool....

Comment

Working...
          X