Proxy Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxy Materials

I am away from my PC, but I have a question in regards to a project I am working in. If I proxy elements, can I still change the materials in the proxy? I want to turn off reflections and GI from view to view.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Yes you can Bobby!

Comment

Okay, thanks. I have a huge project to render and I am planning on turning reflection off of everything, minus the glass. If I have close ups, I'll turn on reflections. Also, I might turn off GI from everything, minus the HDRI. This is doable, correct?3
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Yes, since you apply materials similarly for proxies and regular geometry you have the same control over both. Therefore you can enable/disable Reflection per frame.
        As for the GI control, what you can try is to set an VRayOverrideMtl on the desired Proxy object. Set identical material (as in the base material) in the GI material slot. Then you can control whether the proxy will participate in the GI calculation by setting the GI material slots (diffuse, reflection, refraction) to black. Another approach will be to have two proxy files, one which affects the GI and one which doesn't, and control their visibility accordingly.
        Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Great! I think I'll try your material override suggestion first.

Originally posted by Zdravko.Keremidchiev View Post
          Yes, since you apply materials similarly for proxies and regular geometry you have the same control over both. Therefore you can enable/disable Reflection per frame.
          As for the GI control, what you can try is to set an VRayOverrideMtl on the desired Proxy object. Set identical material (as in the base material) in the GI material slot. Then you can control whether the proxy will participate in the GI calculation by setting the GI material slots (diffuse, reflection, refraction) to black. Another approach will be to have two proxy files, one which affects the GI and one which doesn't, and control their visibility accordingly.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
          X