Glare/Bloom effect only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glare/Bloom effect only

How do I save out only the glare/bloom effect without having it baked into the beauty pass?

In the lens effects settings I have the mode set to 'render element only', but when I select 'glare' from the dropdown in the frame buffer it overlays the glare onto the rendered image. I want to be able to save out clean glare/bloom pass to comp in.

Thanks!

Originally posted by atrask@hksinc.com View Post
    How do I save out only the glare/bloom effect without having it baked into the beauty pass?

In the lens effects settings I have the mode set to 'render element only', but when I select 'glare' from the dropdown in the frame buffer it overlays the glare onto the rendered image. I want to be able to save out clean glare/bloom pass to comp in.

Thanks!
    Save out Lens effect source and beauty pass.
    Set beaty pass to difference blending mode in photoshop then collapse that and save as a new layer. Now ADD over the top of source file
    done Solo lens effect pass
    admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
    Mastering CGI
    CGSociety Folio
    CREAM Studios
    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Here is the result I get differencing out the beauty from vray's glare pass. Click image for larger version

Name:	glare_test.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	858197

When I add this on top of the beauty everything loses fidelity from all the extra bits of noise from the differencing method. Is there a way to get a clean glare pass out of Vray? This feels a bit hacky.

In Mental Ray, there is a checkbox that lets you save out only the glare producing something like this: http://i.imgur.com/AK4AJLK.jpg (found that from a quick google search). How can I do this in Vray?

Comment

Lenseffect source, beauty pass difference produces identical result, when added over the beauty... dno what you've done wrong
        admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
        Mastering CGI
        CGSociety Folio
        CREAM Studios
        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Sort of looks like the gamma for the glare is incorrect... or maybe just the alpha gamma.

Comment

I found out what I was doing wrong in the above example. The mask wasn't enabled on the glare so differencing the whole thing pushes a lot of colors into negative values. Having the effect applied on only the brightest areas help this.

And to follow up on the original post in case someone has the same question, there is no way to save out only the glare data without the beauty baked in. From a dev,
            "The lens effects are computed as a filtering of the whole image. This means that the glare pattern is applied literally to every pixel. The effects and the image are unseparable."
            So yup, the post differencing method is the only way to get it, thanks Grant! Make sure you enable your glare/bloom masks

Comment

Working...
            X