Multiple Sun/Sky Setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Sun/Sky Setups

I have a larger project and I'll need to position the sun uniquely on each camera view. I use an HDRI and I manually align the VRay Sun. Instead of moving both each time and remembering how it was set up for previous renders, should I create multiple setups? Do you turn off the ones not being used and enable the one that is? What's the best way to handle this?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Yes I copy the sun and hdri setup and turn them on and off as needed. I also like to name the view in them otherwise down the line when you need to revisit you might forget which was which.

You could also try state sets/scene state
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

I did find this, which seems to work. It might be easier to just write down a few data points and rotate it for each camera view. I am thinking that they'll want a lot of views and it'll get very complicated with a lot of lights.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/vr-sun-tool
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Use the "Manage Scene States" tool , (not scene states) and save the light property and light transforms for each of the sun and light domes positions/rotations.

Then just restore the relevant state as needed. Works well with batch render.

Remember to resave any changes you make to the lights

If you are using different hdri's then do as Morne suggests

Comment

Originally posted by hoppergrass View Post
          Use the "Manage Scene States" tool , (not scene states) and save the light property and light transforms for each of the sun and light domes positions/rotations. Then just restore the relevant state as needed. Works well with batch render. Remember to resave any changes you make to the lights If you are using different hdri's then do as Morne suggests
          nope, just one HDRI.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

We tend to have a master model file and then 'scene' files for each shot with the master model xref'd in. That way you can have multiple light setups and more importantly for us a number of artists working across a number of shots. Less confusing in the long run.
            http://www.the-neighbourhood.com

Comment

I tend to animate the my changes with the timeline. So I can change my settings too. Then when I want to render something I just choose the correct frame with the corresponding camera.
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Yep, "output" files with just cam and lighting, then load in Xref's needed to make the scene. Means unique render settings and res for each file/image.

Comment

If you've got the budget for it, I'd use RPManager to handle this. I can set up multiple shots in one scene and use the Object properties on the different suns to turn them on or off. Allows for multiple aspect ratios, GI settings, etc on a per shot basis as well. Then when I need to render I can select all of the shots (or some) and render them all at once. I really couldn't work without it for some jobs.
                  www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I'll look into that, thanks!
                    Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
                    If you've got the budget for it, I'd use RPManager to handle this. I can set up multiple shots in one scene and use the Object properties on the different suns to turn them on or off. Allows for multiple aspect ratios, GI settings, etc on a per shot basis as well. Then when I need to render I can select all of the shots (or some) and render them all at once. I really couldn't work without it for some jobs.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

batch camera render script by sergo pogosyan + scene states (lighting and layers if needed) + render presets if necessary.
                      Marcin Piotrowski
                      youtube

Comment

I tried various scripts to manage this in the past, batch camera render was the best. But I recently started using RPManager and it's way more powerful although a bit overkill just to switch between various lights. Brilliant tool !

mekene

Comment

Basically, on this project, I just created 4 light setups and I wrote down my hdri rotation for each sun. Simple, but it worked. I'll look into the other options mentioned.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Yep second RPManager.
                            Will change your life once you know how to use it

Stan
                            3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by mattclayton View Post
                              We tend to have a master model file and then 'scene' files for each shot with the master model xref'd in.
                              You can also do the opposite. Have an x amount of xref files with HDRI and Vray sun, and even camera. In your scene, you just need to turn the appropriate xref ON for the scenario you want, and OFF the others, leaving always just one of them.
                              Guido.

Comment

Working...
                              X