gi shadowing from lightmtl geometry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gi shadowing from lightmtl geometry.

place a polygon, facing down into a room, with a lightmtl on. it lights the room. if its close to the cieling, it casts a gi shadow on the cieling.

this still happens if the object is set to "invisible to camera" or "affect reflections and refractions" is disabled (obviously)

turnng off "recieve gi" doesnt help

and obviously, turning off "generate gi" or "visible to gi" will stop it emitting light.

thats all the options we have to play with.

i understand why it happens, and you can kinda reduce it near zero by putting a transparent material on the back face of your light emitting plane or whatever, but thats not a proper fix, and doesnt work completely for some reason.

- it would be good if the lightmtl shader had some way to kill this effect if required.
    Last edited by super gnu; 07-09-2015, 12:59 PM.

Hello,

Can you post a sample scene?
    Visible to GI look to work.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	858281Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_9.jpg
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	858282
    Last edited by tsvetan.geshev; 09-09-2015, 12:49 AM.
    Tsvetan Geshev
    Technical Support Representative

Chaos Group

Comment

but in your test scene, is the plane illuminating the space? its hard to tell. when i turn off "visible to gi" the shadow goes, but so does the illumination contribution from the lightmtl. (i dont have "direct illumination" ticked, as i may as well use a vraylight in that case.)

im on a deadline at the moment, so i cant do a test.

Comment

Here is the scene:
        Yes, the plane is illuminating the scene, check the file and let us know if you have more questions.
        Tsvetan Geshev

Chaos Group

Comment

ok i could not open your scene as im on max 2014, but i created a similar one in a couple of minutes.

im not sure what result you are seeing, but if you open my file, the plane is clearly not lighting the scene. its set to "invisible to camera" and unticked "visible to gi"

if you select it and tick " visible to gi" it lights the scene as desired, but you have the shadow above it on the cieling.

this is also the case when it is visible to the camera.

Click image for larger version

Name:	non-visible to gi.jpg
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	858284Click image for larger version

Name:	visible to gi.jpg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	858285

to be honest if its set to "invisible to gi" i cant see how it can possibly light the scene, since the gi rays are passing straight through it, and lightmtl works by adding light to the gi rays.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by super gnu; 09-09-2015, 06:32 AM.

Comment

visible to gi_2014.zip

Here is the file for max 2014.
            Please check if this is the result you want and let me know if you have more questions.
            Tsvetan Geshev

Chaos Group

Comment

but, you have enabled "direct illumination" to get it to emit light. my point was that it doesnt work *without* using direct illumination. in this case id use the more efficient vraylight.

id like the result you have, but without "direct illumination" enabled.

Comment

Plug a pure black map inside the Opacity Slot of the LightMtl and you will get the effect you are after:
                https://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/s...t-18-24-26.png
                scene:http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...gi_01_2014.max
                Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 16-09-2015, 08:25 AM.
                Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

that sounds like just the solution i was after! many thanks! i always assumed that areas of the light with black in the opacity slot would not emit light, obviously not

Comment

Working...
                  X