No announcement yet.

V-Ray Standalone on Linux with 3DS Max plugins: GrowFX, Phoenix, ForestPackPro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray Standalone on Linux with 3DS Max plugins: GrowFX, Phoenix, ForestPackPro

Hi all,

I was wondering whether it is possible to combine the use of V-Ray Standalone used a DR Slaves on Linux with Windows-based 3DS Max scenes that use plugins like Phoenix FD and GrowFX and Forestpack Pro. Is the geometry/material representations created by GrowFX and Forestpack Pro able to be represented in the *.vrscene file that is transfered to the Linux machines?

Is there someplace that discusses the limitations of what can be rendered using V-Ray Standalone?

I think that because Phoenix FD is a ChaosGroup product, one can likely install the Phoenix FD plugin on the V-Ray Standalone nodes?

V-Ray DR is so awesome, and I know it generally works cross-platform, but does it work even with these types of 3DS Max plugins like these?

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,
    Ben Houston

You can easily check by rendering those effects in V-Ray RT CPU. Whatever renders in RT, can be rendered 1:1 by the standalone. Plugins like ForestPro, RailClone and MultiScatter are supported as far as geometry is concerned, but their specific textures will not render. Phoenix will generally translate, but you need a newer version of V-Ray and Phoenix. GrowFX, if it produces regular 3ds Max meshes in the end, should translate fine.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks so much for the accurate and helpful answer!
      -ben

Comment

Working...
      X