Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

override material not working as it should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• override material not working as it should be?

After importing a Revit file into max, I assigned a vrayMtl override material to everything and rendered, and everything was as it should be.
    After saving and closing the file, and re-opening, now everything renders black. And when I click on show shaded materials in viewport they remain multi colored and selecting each object's materials gives me "autodesk generic" materials.
    Why isn't the override material applying?
    Thanks

It's a bit hard to tell what's wrong without posting some screenshots. By saying "vrayMtl override material" do you mean the slot in the "Global Switches" tab of Vray's render settings? If yes, then make sure that you've enabled the checkbox where it says "Override mtl". Also make sure that in the "Exclude..." list you have selected the exclude option and don't have any objects in the list to the right.

Might be also that you have forgotten to turn on your lights. Or maybe you have disabled them altogether in Vray's settings by mistake? There could be many reasons but unless we can see some screenshots it will be hard to figure it out.
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

The option for overriding the material only works at render time; it doesn't change any materials in the scene itself.

As for why it renders black, do you have any lights in the scene?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Happened to me before, too. Changing back to default render engine and back to V-Ray solved it for me.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
        X