No announcement yet.

New adaptive method and optimisation prepass early results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The map for noise threshold could be interesting alright - there's a towards / away option in the falloff which can use an object / node as it's centre - it'd be very handy to link it to your camera target and have it as a multiplier for all the things that gradually go out of focus.

Comment

That makes sense.

If you were to add a map for the noise threshold onto your "to do" list, that would be great!

Comment

Will this work on RT? or is this just for Adv right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Donfarese View Post
          Will this work on RT? or is this just for Adv right now?
          Yes, it works with RT already, as well as the progressive sampler.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Yes, it works with RT already, as well as the progressive sampler.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Holy crap this sounds awesome. Is it on by default or we have to turn it on somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
              The map for noise threshold could be interesting alright - there's a towards / away option in the falloff which can use an object / node as it's centre - it'd be very handy to link it to your camera target and have it as a multiplier for all the things that gradually go out of focus.
              Would it not be easier to have a DOF option in vraycam that would apply the noise threshold without apply the dof? If it's really only for that purpose?

Stan
              3LP Team

Comment

That wouldn't work in every situation. You'd need to be able to have the control to tell when that mask starts and stops. With falloff, I can tell it to start at 2 meters, and end at 5. So everything within 2 meters gets the most sampling. It tapers to 5 meters, then everything after that would get same low noise sampling that will be blurred out later. And with composite, some objects could be screened on top of the falloff map, so they always get a clean sample if they are troublesome. A map gives us more tweaking ability.

Comment

So should this be more of a camera thing (i.e. we could add a sampling texture slot to the V-Ray/Physical camera), or a renderer settings thing? If you need it for DOF, it would suggest that this needs to be in the camera? It would also keep the render settings clear from extra clutter.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Definitely per camera, yes, imho.
                    Unless, that is, the NT pass was to become good at doing also other things (say, detect lights' contribution and bias their shading too).
                    If it has to be DoF/Moblur (as moblur trails could get the same undersampling treatment based on trail length) then the camera is where it belongs.
                    Lele
                    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                    ----------------------
                    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

This's so great guys! V-ray goes with the auto-pilot.
                      Noise threshold map would be very useful.
                      If you need some crash testers feel free to contact me

Peo

SOA Academy
                      www.soaacademy.com

Comment

That's cool ! How can i join the beta program for getting daily / weekly builds ?
                        Really interested in this and would love to test on production environment and heavy scenes. Also bugs really love to stick to me , ha !
                        Available for remote work.
                        My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

I guess I just envisioned it as just a map slot box right next to the noise threshold input (see attached). I have to be honest, I don't always use the vray physical camera. Getting the co-worker to use it is even harder. We still work with some scenes that were converted over from another renderer, so converting the cameras was never a priority as they rendered fine. But I don't want to be the one to hold up progress, so....Off topic: (Is there a script that converts a max camera into a VRayCam? And, be able to create a VRayCam from current perspective view?)

So this brings up a couple questions/comments.

Having it with the VRayCam would be good for scenes where I have multiple cameras, as each one can have its own map. Just as long as I can set the noise threshold map without actually turning on the DoF, as the whole point is that I do that in post.

How will this work with Max 2016, and the physical camera built into the software going forward? Do you have the ability to update that camera with VRay updates? Or will we have to call out a VRayCam with script?

Having it in the render setup allows it to work with cameras other than VRayCam. Could this work as a global map, unless a camera with a map is used then it would be overwritten?

Click image for larger version

Name:	noise threshold map.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	858448

Comment

well, the global control would be quite risky: if you had the map done for one point of view, and not for others, the renderer would still use the global map for different points of view, likely wrecking havoc.

(If i am getting what it is you ask for correctly, of course. I thought the map was to be an output, but then, you posted the UI mockup with an INPUT map slot...)
                            Last edited by ^Lele^; 30-09-2015, 08:13 AM.
                            Lele
                            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                            ----------------------
                            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I guess it depends how reckless one was. If using a falloff distance blend and direction by object, it would work for any camera, as long as that was the focus. Like in a product shot. Or if every shot was known to focus within the first couple meters, a falloff distance blend from the viewing direction would cover it all as well. But you are right, it would be chaotic where your DoF might travel all over, or camera distances widely varied per shot. But if it could be used sampling something that might be scene wide, it might do better as a global? Like you mentioned light contribution. Could also be by objects, which could be controlled by vertex colors.

But I'd be happy if I got the control anywhere really, I'll adapt to it.

Comment

As an input, refer to my request. http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...ld-map-control

Basically, if I wanted to set the noise threshold to 0.002, but I don't want something that is not going to be in focus in post to get that sampling. I would input the falloff map, pre-made bitmap, etc, of a grayscale variety. Anything that is white, would do the 0.002 threshold. Then you could either have black be set to 1.000, and it would figure out all the gray levels in between for sampling. If it was 50% black, it would be 0.501. If 10% black, 0.1.

Or maybe better and easier to tweak, you could be given the option to what black is equal to. So my noise threshold is set to 0.002, I set my black threshold to 0.01, assign the falloff map. And VRay renders everything white, which is my focus with 0.002 threshold, and falls off to something that my post DoF will clean up on its own to something like .01. Basically cutting an hour long render time down dramatically, keeping what I need to be clean, noise free. And stuff that is not important, has some noise that is easily managed in post with Frischluft, or whatever plugin you might use if not in After Effects.

Comment

Working...
                                X