No announcement yet.

automatically save to multichannel exr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automatically save to multichannel exr?

Typically I use the multichannel option from the 'save' dropdown on the VFB because I render on my workstation, but wondering how I can have V-ray automatically output a multichannel exr to disk once it finishes rendering.

The following settings only give me beauty + alpha? I have a good dozen other render elements which don't seem to save unless I do it directly from the VFB

even with the above settings, the "automatically add/remove Render Elements from Render dialog" box doesn't do anything?

Any help would be great.
    Last edited by Richard7666; 05-10-2015, 11:36 PM.

I don't really know how to do that; it was one of the reasons we added OpenEXR support directly to the VFB so many years ago. Maybe there's a trick to it though.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I think that's the splutterfish EXR saver, originally.
      It got added, and it stayed much the same since then.
      As Vlado pointed out, there are a few benefits from using VRay's exr output from the framebuffer section, not least the fact that you can render without a framebuffer, and get tiled EXRs as output, something you wouldn't be able to achieve otherwise.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
        I think that's the splutterfish EXR saver, originally.
        No, Splutterfish did the HDR reader/writer. Cebas did the OpenEXR one. (And I'm amazed by the cr*p I remember, even if I forget whether I had lunch or not )

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

ah yes, you are right indeed.
          Did we have dinner yesterday night, btw? ^^
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

doesn't V-ray for Maya save out all channels in a multichannel exr when you have it set to save as exr in the render globals? Been awhile since I used it but I'm sure it does
            EDIT: just checked, it does indeed

One thing I hadn't realised was that the "output" section in the render globals in 3ds Max is all basically Max native, while the equivalent in Maya is actually V-ray's own output/common settings, is that correct?
            Last edited by Richard7666; 07-10-2015, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard7666 View Post
              doesn't V-ray for Maya save out all channels in a multichannel exr when you have it set to save as exr in the render globals? Been awhile since I used it but I'm sure it does
              In Maya, you can choose between multiple files and a single multi-channel output.

One thing I hadn't realised was that the "output" section in the render globals in 3ds Max is all basically Max native, while the equivalent in Maya is actually V-ray's own output/common settings, is that correct?
              This is correct. Maya does not provide any help to the renderer in saving the output, so we've implemented everything ourselves.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

even with the above settings, the "automatically add/remove Render Elements from Render dialog" box doesn't do anything?
                Will it save a multichannel EXR with the VRay Framebuffer disabled? (Enable built-in frame buffer = off)

I usually set up a pipeline with the VRay VFB completely off and then have a maxscript set the paths and bit depths for each render element separately just before render. If you like separate sequences for your render elements in separate folders (I love it) this is a pretty good workflow as you don't need post-render splitters and you can render 32-bit and 16-bit with or without alpha mixed straight from max. Downside is rendering deep. Heard EXR 2.0 is very fast with multichannel EXR, but saving out different bit depths in one go is pretty nice to have.
                Would love to see bit depth per element and tokens for setting render elem paths in VRay. : )
                Rens Heeren
                Generalist
                WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

Originally posted by Rens View Post
                  Would love to see bit depth per element and tokens for setting render elem paths in VRay. : )
                  Quote for agreement. But you know that already, eh?

Comment

Typically I use the multichannel option from the 'save' dropdown on the VFB because I render on my workstation, but wondering how I can have V-ray automatically output a multichannel exr to disk once it finishes rendering.

Any help would be great.
                    In the render setup dialog, instead of using the common tab to have max save the file, go to the V-Ray tab and set your V-Ray raw image file there and just give it an exr extension.
                    This will save ALL CHANNELS as you go, per bucket, and not AFTER the render like you want.
                    Last edited by Morne; 07-10-2015, 06:05 PM.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Alternately you can disable the Vray VFB and use the max VFB and it'll write out all of the EXR layers. We have a sanity check on all of our Deadline submissions to ensure we don't leave the Vray VFB enabled or we lose all of our elements. Or as mentioned, you can use the native Vray Output but that's *really* dangerous because it writes regardless if you hit F9 or F10. So test renders will overwrite existing renders. On the plus side the OptionsRE gives you multipart EXR 2.0s which are way more efficient in principle when you don't use every render channel in your comp.
                      Gavin Greenwalt
                      im.thatoneguy[at]gmail.com || Gavin[at]SFStudios.com
                      Straightface Studios

Comment

Or use RPManager
                        You'll be able to use a Vray VFB for each pass and thus save out to multi layered exr.
                        Using the preview option disable the outpat path.
                        It disable the crop render automatically when send pass to the farm.

It checks all the boxes of above
                        4 years we use it, and can't do without it in production anymore

Stan
                        3LP Team

Comment

Working...
                        X