Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayDisplacement

Hello there.

I'm constantly thinking about how to make the VrayDisplacement dependent by the camera distance and still failing on this.

May you can give me a hin.

The aim is to eliminate the displacement by some distance from the camera. Imaginge you have a huge brick wall, and the camera is a) very close to it b) looking at a very flat angle so you can basically see the whole wall but only the bricks very close to the camera are a) in focus and b) needs displacenemt.

breaking the wall into two parts does not really work because you always see the border between the displaced and undisplaced area. Unchecking the "view dependence" is not an option. The details needs to be very crisp close to the camera. If i uncheck this, I loose a lot of it.

is there any way how to implement some sort of a falloff map into this, so the displacement is not calculated for the whole object, which actually fills the mage? I mean just to use a ramp for the displacement map with texture in the front and neutral grey in the distance does not turn off the displacement calculations, it just does not displace.

the reason is: displacement kills the rendertimes and makes rendering images with high resolution (over 4k) pretty impossible on weaker workstations.

Thank you very much for any clue in advance.

limiting the subD to 16 instead of 256 is doing the trick for me...

Comment

Hi thx
      yes you're correct. But that's not what I'm aiming for. That's some sort of a workaround and provisory solution. Otherway, what works, that just works...

At the moment I have a solution, but I'm seeking for something where you have a control over the calculation itself depending by distance. so closer to the camera displacement is calculated - further away, who cares.

Let's say subdiv fades to very low and than it's not considered at all. Or much better: it changes to a bump effect. No additional surface tesselation.
      Last edited by o-v; 19-11-2015, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X