New Licensing System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Licensing System

For those VRay users who have received the new Internal build and wondering where all your settings have gone, you need to go to 3dsmax/root folder and start the new Licence Server app - VRLServer.exe. It will then give you the request code to email to the Chaos guys.

Only after the licencing is installed and working properly will the VRay Render Settings be available again.

As there were no installation instructions with the download, I thought I'd post this notice to save some the embarrassment of sending in an email asking for the licence file. Hopefully it will also save the Chaos guys having to answer licencing questions too.

As we all know, they've got better things to do...
    sigpic

Vu Nguyen
    -------------------------
    www.loftanimation.com.au

Vu, I had a few issues with the licensing on the new internal build. The remedy for me was to rebuild my computer! ha ha Its a bit extreme I know but it worked.

Cheers
    Chris Jackson
    cj@arcad.co.nz
    www.arcad.co.nz
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Ouch!...
      sigpic

Vu Nguyen
      -------------------------
      www.loftanimation.com.au

Comment

Instructions are here (but like you said, not in the download itself):
        http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/VRay...ensingvray.htm

I have VRLServer.exe running on my server, handing out licences over the network. Works brilliantly for stationary computers. I wish I could "check out" a licence on the laptop for when I take it with me though.. Currently not possible..
        Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

uff... how much memory will the service eat up?

...with virusscanner, spamfilter, autodesk and wiso-service for archicad i'm loosing at least 20mb of ram. ..at the moment i'm starting my system with 115mb ram usage!

When i remember NT4 with 15mb ram on a clean install and 40mb with all drivers installed i can only say:
          The whole "let's write a service"-thing goes in the wrong direction.
          www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

uff... how much memory will the service eat up?

...with virusscanner, spamfilter, autodesk and wiso-service for archicad i'm loosing at least 20mb of ram. ..at the moment i'm starting my system with 115mb ram usage!

When i remember NT4 with 15mb ram on a clean install and 40mb with all drivers installed i can only say:
            The whole "let's write a service"-thing goes in the wrong direction.
            especially when you know that any protection is cracked anyway and only the paying customers have to bother about ram usage, not working printer ports (dongle problems), re-authorisation problems etc.

but at least this way it´s getting easyer for big studios who use vray.

all these protection systems are a evil we have to live with.

Comment

it's the question of how clever you can write a service...

The guys from avid told me on monday that the new XSI is loading the licensing service when it starts and quits it when XSI quit. .. dunno if it's true, but even better then cdilla which runs all the time.

Comment

I have the service on a server, so it doesn't use workstation RAM. It currently uses 4156KB when VRay is not in use and 4168KB when VRay is in use.
                Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

the added bonus of a floating license scheme outweighs any ram question i think!

Dave..
                  Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

hmm.... floating licence sounds great - - true!.
                    Does that means that i can float the licence to a different PC which is not in the network ...from office to home?

4megs is IMHO for a workstation to much. If i only would have vray running ..no problem, but it's the sum of all "useless" services, which is not only eating MEM but also reduce the responsetime of the PC.

Try to run a clean max without plugins and one with many plugins.... isn't there a difference? ..the plugins are "only" loaded into the ram.
                    I think it's *maybe* similar to WinXP and services. (please correct me if i'm wrong)

Comment

Thanks a lot Nguyen, that information is really helpfull. I was very embarassed the first time I try to install it. Fortunately you wrote this.
                      That save me from more stress, because of my daily hard work.
                      Now everything is ok!.
                      Doan

Comment

Working...
                      X