Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGX BRDF Questions

Hi all

Can we safely switch ALL defaults of ALL materials to GGX instead of blinn? Are there any reasons not not?

Can we have some examples for the tail falloff? For example typically such and such a meterial will have a tail falloff of such and such (like the typical IOR tables here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...0FDAF-htm.html)
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

My only concern is that GGX is a bit more difficult to sample than Blinn and might cause noise that is more difficult to clean up. This is, of course, something that we are looking to improve in future versions, but it may be a concern right now. Also, while it has been shown that GGX does indeed approximate metal reflections better, I don't necessarily think it works better for other materials like plastic, leather or wood. I guess we could run some comparisons with the scanned materials that we have to see which one is a closer match.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      ...we could run some comparisons with the scanned materials that we have to see which one is a closer match.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Yes please! That will be appreciated!
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        ...I don't necessarily think it works better for other materials like plastic, leather or wood...

Best regards,
        Vlado
        On that subject, I still think a simple preset for a base between plastic, wood metal etc is a good idea in the VRayMtl
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

Working...
        X