Setting a max ies light to rectangle shape calculates slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting a max ies light to rectangle shape calculates slowly

I am experimenting with a scene and have a bunch of 3dsmax ies spotlights (no web data, just spotlights) with the shape set to rectangle. I noticed (after about 3 hours of rendering) that only a small % of my CPUs were calculating the lightcache. After hours of messing around and trying different machines etc, I finally discovered that 'rectangle' is the problem. Returning the setting to 'point' gives me full CPU power again.

Joy.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

OK but if you're not using an IES file, then why bother? Why not just use VRay planer light? Is there some kind of benefit to a "blank" IES?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
      I am experimenting with a scene and have a bunch of 3dsmax ies spotlights (no web data, just spotlights) with the shape set to rectangle. I noticed (after about 3 hours of rendering) that only a small % of my CPUs were calculating the lightcache. After hours of messing around and trying different machines etc, I finally discovered that 'rectangle' is the problem. Returning the setting to 'point' gives me full CPU power again.

Joy.
      Not able to reproduce that into our environment, would it be possible to attach the scene or a simplified version of it for investigation?
      Thank you very much in advance.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
        OK but if you're not using an IES file, then why bother? Why not just use VRay planer light? Is there some kind of benefit to a "blank" IES?
        I can't remember why I wanted to do it TBH. I think I wanted to control hotspot and falloff or something...
        Kind Regards,
        Richard Birket
        http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Working...
        X