Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rendering a normal map from Vray Displacement ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rendering a normal map from Vray Displacement ?

Is there any way to bake a normal map from Vray Displacement with the projection modifier ?
    I think I tried every combination without success, but maybe I overlooked something.

VRaySamplerInfo as render element and then normal vector ?

Comment

Or samplerinfotex in normal mode into a light material and render to texture?

Comment

No, doesn´t seem to work I just get a the plain normals as if no displacement was rendered. When I use a vraycompletemap I sometimes
        get out something that could be a displacement So it´s not completely ignoring displacement,
        But not exactly what it would look like when you just render the object. I also get maxscript errors from time to time.
        Looks like it´s not really supported.
        My setup is quite basic. Maybe there is something wrong as I don´t use Texture baking that often.
        2 Spheres, one is larger than the other and has a projection mod apllied The modifier targets the smaller sphere.
        The smaller one has a displacement modifier with a cellular map applied. displacement is set to 2d and the cellular map
        to explicit map channel. Tried VrayNormals as element, vraycompletemap with vraysamplertex and infotexture.
        No luck so far.

Comment

is the displacement 3d? had some problems recently with cellular and 2d.

edit: missed that in your post. try 3d displacement.
          Last edited by piotrus3333; 03-12-2015, 11:22 AM.
          Marcin Piotrowski
          youtube

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. After rethinking what I actually need, I came to the conclusion that I don´t really need this to work. I can just
            put the displacement map into my diffuse slot, texture bake it and convert it to a normal map with crayz bump. Should give exactly the result
            I was asking for, in theory.

Comment

Working...
            X