Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How remove noise in automatic mode in VRay 3.3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it impossible to remove the noise in automatic mode using BF+LC. Even lowering the thresholds to 0.001 still produces extreme noise (which appear related to secondary rays). Testing a scene with a mid grey material illuminated with sun+sky. Same scene rendered clean with a dome HDR using v-ray 3.20

Comment

Originally posted by king_max View Post
      I find it impossible to remove the noise in automatic mode using BF+LC. Even lowering the thresholds to 0.001 still produces extreme noise (which appear related to secondary rays). Testing a scene with a mid grey material illuminated with sun+sky. Same scene rendered clean with a dome HDR using v-ray 3.20
      There is no use decreasing the threshold if you don't have enough max. subdivs. Look at the sample rate render element - if it's all red, you need more max subdivs.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I know that. I tried that ultra low thresholds on 1/100 subdivs. I can get a clean image with any GI combination with the individual approach. Setting the lights/mats/GI subdivisions manually. One of the numerous novelties in SP3 is the "automatic" settings mode which should provide production grade quality for those users who don't want to meddle with various settings or doesn't care for render times. Perhaps I just switched to SP3 on a tricky scene as it is... My point is, I could have used the universal settings on a scene with SP2 and get decent results, but when loading the same scene with SP3 I get unacceptable results (same settings) and end up spending a great amount of time tweaking the settings to get the same results as before. Isn't that the opposite of what SP3 aimed to be?

Comment

I am confused now as to who you're answering to.
          If you refer to me on the other thread, please keep it there, or ideally entirely away from an announcement thread, and start an issue thread, where we can all delve into minutiae without polluting what should be a reference thread for everyone else.
          And if you provide us with a scene to look at, we may perhaps offer you an explanation as to why were you experiencing what.
          A process to intentions may be fun on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but it doesn't get images rendered.
          And i feel i exhausted my options, without some solid data to work on.
          Last edited by ^Lele^; 20-12-2015, 11:23 AM.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
            I am confused now as to who you're answering to.
            If you refer to me on the other thread, please keep it there, or ideally entirely away from an announcement thread, and start an ISSUE thread, where we can all delve into minutiae without polluting what should be a reference thread for everyone else.
            And if you provide us with a scene to look at, we may perhaps offer you an explanation as to why were you experiencing what.
            A process to intentions may be fun on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but it doesn't get images rendered.
            And i feel i exhausted my options, without some solid data to work on.
            Sorry for the "double" post. I already sent the file to Vlado. I didn't mean to post twice the same argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Recon442 View Post
              Just mailed you the scene
              So to go back to that.

Yes, in the particular scene that you sent (empty room, flat walls and floor, sunset lighting), higher MSR does produce slightly lower render times.

However, if I do a few seemingly minor modifications to the scene - f.e. I added slight bump on the walls, a bump map on the floor, displaced rug on the floor, added some plants and moved the sun to a different time of day - the situation is quite different and the optimal MSR gravitates back to the default value of 6.

So my thoughts are these:

*) In my view, it is unlikely that you will have to render a final image consisting of bare walls and nothing else. Except for the initial development stages (when you need mostly just preview images anyways), most scenes would have at least some other stuff going on.

*) Is it worth it to spend time playing with the MSR value for the few extra percent? If you want to squeeze as much render time as possible out of the scene because you have 1000 frames to render - then perhaps yes. But if you have a few stills to render, it might take more time to find the optimal MSR value that it would be to just render with the defaults.

My goal with the next releases of V-Ray is to reduce the render time differences between different MSR values, so that it would be even less necessary to play with the MSR value.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Attached Files
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
              X