Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cube 6x1 swirl in top and bottom pic

Hi

I´m just starting out with vr and cubemapping but have hit a slight bump. On the top and bottom render the lines in the render starts 'swirling' as if the lines don't add up correctly... Anyone know how to solve this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	vr sample.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	883289
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-core CPU @ 3.50GHz 64GB RAM Vray Next 3DS MAX 2020

Hi,

Yes, this is an expected result. The pole merging strategy we used to merge the top and bottom part of the image leads to this effect in the final render image.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi,

I am currently having the same problem, I understand how decreasing the eye distance is necessary at the top and bottom, but is it possible to control it more? For example could you have the gradient from 60 degrees to 10 degrees, so there's a larger patch at the bottom that's not in 3d? Having more control over the merging would help. On the other hand some of the OTOY 'render the meta-verse' contest entries seem to have non of this problem so there must be a way of solving it completely?
      Matt

Comment

The stereo helper has options for the pole merging - you can increase it or decrease it as needed:
        http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...micpolemerging

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

This has never been an issue for us when looking at the images with a gear vr.

Comment

Originally posted by mediasphere View Post
            so there must be a way of solving it completely?
            Nope. There isn't, at least if you want to use pole merging; if you disable pole merging, there won't be a warp at the poles but it will look odd.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Last edited by vlado; 12-02-2016, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I have a similar but different issue, with a table very close to the bottom pole when looking down, and I get an effect where it looks like there are two tables that are at different angles. It looks ok if I shut one eye so some form of parallax issue but how do I solve it? The camera is in the middle of the living room. Is it something with the eye distance?

I also have a feeling that the scale or FOV is off somehow, as I have a dummy person in the scene who is at my eye height when standing up, but the person feels small. I'm using a standard camera as suggested.

All help highly appreciated, takes forever to render so I'm getting a bit tired of the trial and error.

Perhaps I should mention that I'm using an Oculus but the same problem with iphone/Cardboard.

Comment

You don't have to do tests with a full render, you can turn off GI and use some default light to look at things until the stereo effect looks right. In any case it would be best to post some example scene because I can't immediately imagine what the problem looks like. The pole merging paramteres are generally the ones to adjust in such cases.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Yes, I'm shutting of as much as I can but I need to use the full resolution and the whole process of getting it into Oculus to view it is a bit tedious in case I was doing something obvious wrong. It is more like the stereo effect has a problem as it looks ok with one eye.

Would I be able to send the render directly to support? This architect is very sensitive about his work, especially when it is in process.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicinus View Post
                    Yes, I'm shutting of as much as I can but I need to use the full resolution and the whole process of getting it into Oculus to view it is a bit tedious in case I was doing something obvious wrong. It is more like the stereo effect has a problem as it looks ok with one eye.

Would I be able to send the render directly to support? This architect is very sensitive about his work, especially when it is in process.
                    Yes of course, you can send us the files directly to support@chaosgroup.com.
                    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                    X