Vray 3.3 Material Subdivs greyed out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 3.3 Material Subdivs greyed out?

In Vray 3.3 the subdivs box is greyed out for reflection and refraction for Vray Materials. Is there a new override?
    Thanks!

Yes there is a new override as well as a new workflow

A LOT has happened with 3.3 and I suggest you checkout Lele's cheatsheet: http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...image-with-SP3

...and come to the forum more often (maybe while rendering), there's a lot of valuable info floating all over the place

The SHORT ANSWER to your question:
    In VRay render settings under the "Global DMC" rollout, tick "Use local subdivs" (but that's the old way of doing things)
    Last edited by Morne; 06-01-2016, 03:44 PM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Thanks Morne,
      Looks interesting. It appears after reading the forum post Lele's best practises is for general noise at a trade off for render time. I wonder how it works for the pesky isolated glossy reflection noise or sun shadow noise.
      I will need to test this out with our animations.

Comment

Originally posted by jneilon View Post
        Thanks Morne,
        I wonder how it works for the pesky isolated glossy reflection noise or sun shadow noise.
        I guess you could use the subdivs multiplier (VRay properties). However, for the sun shadow noise, no idea ...
        Nicolas Caplat
        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Originally posted by NicoC View Post
          I guess you could use the subdivs multiplier (VRay properties). However, for the sun shadow noise, no idea ...
          I'll try out the new workflow but I suspect I will still need to do minor tweaks to the subdivs of the reflection/refraction material properties when using glossy effects and sun subdivs if I make the sun softer (It's under the Sun parameters)

Comment

I wonder how it works for the pesky isolated glossy reflection noise or sun shadow noise.
            It's the same noise as anything else... why would those be special?

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              It's the same noise as anything else... why would those be special?

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Hi Vlado,
              I'm specifically talking about glossy reflection/refraction noise and soft sun shadows. These both tend to cause more noise than regular diffuse materials and a regular sun.

Comment

I'm specifically talking about glossy reflection/refraction noise and soft sun shadows. These both tend to cause more noise than regular diffuse materials and a regular sun.
                The adaptive image sampler should be able to clear these up just fine.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  The adaptive image sampler should be able to clear these up just fine.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Yes it usually does. I tend to undersample the scene and adjust certain elements to allow for faster renders. This may be the old way but I need to keep our render times to 15min a frame for animation.
                  But that being said I will try what Lele recommends for IR/LC and compare the end results / time.

Comment

Well, if you need the manual adjustments, you can always turn the local subdivs option on and proceed as before

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Working...
                    X