Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory

Is there any reason not to set the memory limit to 0? The default is 4000, which is set for someone with 8GB of RAM. Most of us have at least 32GB. Or, is it set for slaves, that are usually older machines and only have 8GB of RAM?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Last time I checked, setting it to 0 let's VRay use as much RAM as is needed. However there is the danger in that it will use up all available RAM, leaving none for the OS.

So therefore if you have 32GB Ram, type in 28000, this will use UP to 28000 and still leave roughly 4000 for the OS (Or via maxscript you can set this value to -4000 in which case it will be more or less the same thing)

But like I said, that was last time I checked and it was with the initial 3.0 BETA if I remember correctly. Not sure if all that is still valid today.

I also have 32GB ram and I set mine to 28000 and it works great.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

I have always set it to 0 and I don't have any issues. Currently, I have 32GB of RAM. I was just wondering if there is any downfalls to setting it to 0.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I believe that memory limit only applies to dynamic geometry. If you have things set to static it does not matter?? Some things default to dynamic like particles (IIRC), and VRayProxies, etc. I never found much speedup by increasing this value (or using zero)? Has anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
          I have always set it to 0 and I don't have any issues. Currently, I have 32GB of RAM. I was just wondering if there is any downfalls to setting it to 0.
          There aren't any downfalls if you are using the machine only for rendering. If you intend to do other things during the rendering however it would be better to leave a few GB of memory for other apps following Morne workflow.

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
          I believe that memory limit only applies to dynamic geometry. If you have things set to static it does not matter?? Some things default to dynamic like particles (IIRC), and VRayProxies, etc. I never found much speedup by increasing this value (or using zero)? Has anyone else?
          Dynamic Memory limit only affects Dynamic objects like displacement, proxies etc that is true.
          It affects the speed of the rendering a LOT but this could be only monitored up to the point where the memory usage of the buckets is greater than the one specified in DynMem limit, once the DydMem value is greater than the currently used memory the speed won't change. This could be easily tested with a very simple scene with displacement, set the DynLimit to 1MB and then gradually increase it, you will notice that with each step the rendering will become faster and faster.
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

0 is become my default setting.
            Either I have enough memory to render the scene and then it's better to let Vray manage it and use whatever he needs to be as fast as possible, or he doesn't and then the computer swaps.
            We have node with 32 some with 48 and the fastest with 64 Gb of ram, I can't cap at 28 to get the 32 rendering a bit faster if the cap as the others will not benefit from their ram amount.
            So 0 became my default and if it swaps a bit, then we bite the bullet for that job

Stan
            3LP Team

Comment

Working...
            X