Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 3.3.0 + Progressive Image sampler

Hello Guys,

I've just started using the Progressive image sampler with 3.3.

How to get the same result with different machines (with different horse power) ?

If I set the render time to 1h, I will get very different result with multiple machines.
    With Vray RT you've got Max Time or max paths/pixel, so I can have 3 different GPU and the same amount of noise.

But I need to do the same with the Vray Advance and Progressive image sampler.

How ?

Thanks
    My Flickr

use noise treshold instead of time limit.
    Surrealismo
    https://www.facebook.com/surrrealismo

Comment

i.e. set the time limit to 0.

and i believe its called color threshold now.. noise threshold is in the dmc rollout and should be left as-is.

Comment

The max sample have a great impact on render-time (logical), the noise threshold a very small impact (close to negligible)

I see a pass number during rendering, is it possible to set the max pass (by script ?)

Best regards...
        My Flickr

Comment

are you referring to noise threshold or color threshold? as halving the colour threshold should lead to a doubling in rendertime. one of the features of vray 3.3 is a linear relationship between color threshold and rendertime.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
            are you referring to noise threshold or color threshold? as halving the colour threshold should lead to a doubling in rendertime. one of the features of vray 3.3 is a linear relationship between color threshold and rendertime.
            http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...ressiveSampler

Noise Threshold, I'm talking about Progressive Sampler, not the Adaptive Sampler.
            My Flickr

Comment

ahh my bad, its still called "Noise threshold" when using progressive.

this is probably something that should be changed in the interface, since there is already a "noise threshold" under the dmc rollout, and they are set independently. should say "colour threshold" like under the adaptive sampler.. unless im missing something critical.

anyway, the "noise threshold" under the progressive rollout should (approximately double final rendertime if you half the number. (assuming a) you dont have a time limit on there and b/ you are not maxing out the aa sampler at 100 subdivs.)

it should certainly have more than a "negligible effect"

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                ahh my bad, its still called "Noise threshold" when using progressive.

this is probably something that should be changed in the interface, since there is already a "noise threshold" under the dmc rollout, and they are set independently. should say "colour threshold" like under the adaptive sampler.. unless im missing something critical.

anyway, the "noise threshold" under the progressive rollout should (approximately double final rendertime if you half the number. (assuming a) you dont have a time limit on there and b/ you are not maxing out the aa sampler at 100 subdivs.)

it should certainly have more than a "negligible effect"
                I'll try with 1/100, because with 1/6 or 1/8 Threshold effect is negligible. Thanks.
                My Flickr

Comment

yes thatll be it, youre hitting your max aa limit, so its clamping the achievable image quality. see lele's thread on optimising rendertime with the new vray..

Comment

Originally posted by stilgarna View Post
                    I've just started using the Progressive image sampler with 3.3.

How to get the same result with different machines (with different horse power) ?

If I set the render time to 1h, I will get very different result with multiple machines.
                    With Vray RT you've got Max Time or max paths/pixel, so I can have 3 different GPU and the same amount of noise.

But I need to do the same with the Vray Advance and Progressive image sampler.
                    Vlado, any chance to see a max path/pixel in the progressive image sample ?

Best regards...
                    My Flickr

Comment

You mean? Where do you want to see it? There is already a setting for max subdivs.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

In V-Ray RT you can use the max time as a limit, the noise threshold and also the max path/pixel as a limit.
                        In V-Ray you only have the render time and the noise threshold.

The noise in progressive mode is "nicer" to my eyes in darker areas, but the render time is very unpredictable when using min - max and noise threshold.

It will be very nice to get a max path/pixel in V-Ray (normal vray, not the crazy one )

Hope to be clear

Best regards.
                        Attached Files
                        My Flickr

Comment

You have the max subdivs which serves the exact same purpose.
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                            You have the max subdivs which serves the exact same purpose.
                            ok, I missed something...

I'll go back to my scene... to do more tests... Thanks !

Best regards.
                            Last edited by stilgarna; 17-05-2016, 04:37 AM.
                            My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X