Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GearVR output resolution

Hi guys

I have done a large VR 360 stereo project with Vray and worked absolutely fine at the 4096x1024 LR (includes both eyes).

I am now producing a version for use on MilkVR, this is where it gets tricky. Please correct me but as I understand is this:

- Need to render at 3840x1920 per eye, resulting in 7680x1920 LR or 3840x3840 TB.
    - H264 can not handle past 2304x2304 as far as I know and therefore have to output using h265 to allow the above resolutions.
    - I've tried outputting h265 4096x4096 (upscaled) and 3840x3840 TB/LR versions but Oculous video app just shows black and no error message when playing the Top/Bottom version (it does state it can not play file when viewing a Left/Right version)
    - Is there anyway to see if these resolutions/codecs actually work as MilkVR requires upload to their servers etc and no scope for local testing. Maybe another app I can use in Developer mode or something.

Be good to know if any of you have done a VR project and uploaded to MilkVR yet and your experiences.

*Don't quite understand why MilkVR requires 4k when the Gear cant play above 2160 vertical? I can access the videos in MilkVR now but again, just don't play at that resolution.

** Got 4096x4096 TB to upload to MilkVR and playback on the app. I'm sure it gets converted back to my original resolution. Pretty pointless but ah well!

*** Ok last edit, hopefully this may be useful for someone in the future! I assume 4096x4096 is required as it generates a 2D, 3D and stream version from the same file. 4096 obviously retains the resolution to be able to play 2D at full resolution. Anyway re-rendering at 4k :P

Thanks!
    Last edited by flipbook; 08-02-2016, 10:30 AM.
    Adam Trowers

What I've been doing is 3840x960 per eye, spherical camera with auto resolution on the VRay Stereoscopic helper. This is for sideloading rather than via MilkVR.

Then converting that in AE to a 3840x1920 mp4. This is for 30fps. Not sure if you could stretch it to 1080/2160 in the vertical though?

At 60 it's a reduced resolution can't remember offhand - 720/1440 was the vertical res.

Would be interesting to see what the maximum res for stereo sideloaded would be, I'm inclined to try for a 180x180 60fps if I could get the res up.

Comment

h.265 could be issue.

there is not much out there that supports hardware playback. i think its only 750 ti and 960 that supports it.

and i think with those its not fully supported.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to run with the large resolution render and submit as 3840x1920 per eye (stretch it to 4096x4096 as per their spec requirements) as it seems to work on the MilkVR , annoying as it is about 11000 frames! Let the farm render for a week.
        Adam Trowers

Comment

Working...
        X