A Phoenix FD query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Phoenix FD query

Hi, I’m pretty new to Phoenix and unfortunately I don’t seem to be able to post on the Phoenix forum so apologies for using this one.

Ok, so I’m a few hours into it and I’m having a headache with the liquid dynamics, its driving me nuts! I started off following the pouring wine from a bottle into a glass tutorial and it will not behave as it does in the video.

The problem seems to be that fluid is emitted on the surface of the cylindrical emitter I made and not its volume so, when I ‘pour’ it, the liquid just pours off the top of the cylinder while the stuff at the sides just gets trapped between the side of the emitter and the inside of the bottle, leaving a ring of fluid.

I’ve tried removing the bottle to see what happens, expecting the fluid to fall vertically but it shoots out omni-directionally as if there is a force on it. Going through the settings, I think this has something to do with the discharge value. At the moment I think my problems might have something to do with scene scale, our studio setup is in metres while the sample file is set to cm.

Does anyone have any insight? Also is it worth getting a hold of the nightly build?

A
    http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

The nightly build is far far far superior! It has changed over to FLIP as the build you are using is on the old grid core. Normally best to stick to CM units or if you can get away with using like 0.3/5 metre units to get a different scale to your sim. The old core is hard to get looking correct especially with collision areas forming grid patterns etc.
    Adam Trowers

Comment

Yup, flipbook is right - the nightlies should behave better and be more predictable - you should ask the support for nightly access and forum access too.

Additionally, on your questions - if you want the body to emit from its volume and not the surface, you need to un-check 'Solid' from its right-click Phoenix properties.

Also, on the units - it's not important how you view the units - whether in cm or meters - the important thing is how big your container is as a whole - you can check this info in your Simulation panel.

For the wine scene, you can expect proper behavior if your containers are about 30cm-50cm in total - it doesn't matter if you view them in like 30cm or 0.3m, but the entire size of the container must correspond to the real-life thing. For, say, a volcano eruption - you should make your container several hundred meters wide, and this way things will happen much more slowly inside it.

In general - if you feel like your liquid is moving too fast by itself and the sources don't seem to blame, then probably your container is too small. In the nightlies, under the Dynamic panel, we have added a Scene Scale multiplier, so you may make the simulation act like it's in a bigger or smaller container without touching your scene units.

Cheers!
      Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips, I'll email support now and see if I can get nightly access and see if I do any better!
        http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X