Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray/VR headgear pipeline - any advice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray/VR headgear pipeline - any advice ?

I'm looking to create some VR movies soon. They will be used on various headgear, initially the Oculus. I'm assuming that at the moment I can only render a spherical cam sequence from Vray meaning there would be no parallax !? Is this now in the latest build or do I still need to download the nightly to get the ability to render using the spherical cam with the lens correction ? Any help or links regarding the process to create this kind of VR experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I've found this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1J_jlkbX2s and it seems these guys just export to a spherical movie and then use the VR player to view it back. So this would definitely be a case of no parallax and a less immersive experience.
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

I've no idea what you are asking... You can certainly render stereo spherical panoramas out of V-Ray; what would stop you from creating movies out of the frames?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Basically I want to be able to output an animation from vray and be able to view it on the DK2 in stereoscopic. The movie would then be viewed on something like VRplayer and projected onto a sphere where the viewer can see the rendered output. Would this mean though that because this is a pre-rendered sequence there would be no parallax or the ability to look around objects because in fact the 3d objects are only projected onto a sphere and not objects in real 3d space ?
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
        Basically I want to be able to output an animation from vray and be able to view it on the DK2 in stereoscopic. The movie would then be viewed on something like VRplayer and projected onto a sphere where the viewer can see the rendered output. Would this mean though that because this is a pre-rendered sequence there would be no parallax or the ability to look around objects because in fact the 3d objects are only projected onto a sphere and not objects in real 3d space ?
        The stereo effect will be there, so things will look 3D. However if the user moves their head (as opposed to just rotating around), there will be no parallax correction. This is not something that can be done with a 2D movie at all, you will need something like this:

http://nozon.com/presenz

which requires extensions to the renderer, a specialized file format and a special player.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

ok. That's what I was thinking in terms of parallax. Thanks
          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

So with the latest release build I simply export out the movie to 4k using the spherical camera setting @ 25fps and then simply view this in the VRplayer ?

Are there any special instructions in terms of setting up the vray stereo camera rig ?
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
              So with the latest release build I simply export out the movie to 4k using the spherical camera setting @ 25fps and then simply view this in the VRplayer ?
              I think so, yes.

Are there any special instructions in terms of setting up the vray stereo camera rig ?
              Not really, but you can check Chris' guide to VR for more info:
              https://labs.chaosgroup.com/index.ph...ual-reality-2/

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Thanks Vlado.
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                X