Tolerable render times for Archviz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
    For me, displacement is the time killer. I just rendered a 4K exterior in less than 1 hour, but it doesn't have any displacement. A project with displacement usually takes 3-4 times longer.
    3D or 2D displacement? We are doing some improvements for both, but I'm curious...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I don't think it makes a difference, however, I try to use 2D.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        3D or 2D displacement? We are doing some improvements for both, but I'm curious...

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I'm using a script that creates 2D displacement on roofs and speed is ok. That same displacement makes my walls invisible so I have to use 3D and then I might as well go fishing for the week
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

I use the same roof script and its resolution is cranked up to 3000 (default) and there really isn't a speed hit. I guess it is the 3D that really hits render times hard. If I have siding without corner boards I need 3D and for brick walls I also need 3D.

Originally posted by Morne View Post
          I'm using a script that creates 2D displacement on roofs and speed is ok. That same displacement makes my walls invisible so I have to use 3D and then I might as well go fishing for the week
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

If you use 3d displacement the "static geometry" checkbox definitely helps with performance speed but obviously will eat lots of ram (depending on the amount though).
            Cheers,
            Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

I guess it is the 3D that really hits render times hard. If I have siding without corner boards I need 3D and for brick walls I also need 3D.
              Jip, and I have to bring the edge lenght down to from 4 to 2 but for medium or closeups I have to go down to 1 otherwise the geometry looks like ants have been eating it - and boy then it really goes very slow!

It would be nice if displacement "just works" without adjusting anything
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

I avoid the 3D due to the 'ant' issue.

Jip, and I have to bring the edge lenght down to from 4 to 2 but for medium or closeups I have to go down to 1 otherwise the geometry looks like ants have been eating it - and boy then it really goes very slow!

It would be nice if displacement "just works" without adjusting anything
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Which issue is that?

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Which issue is that?

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    This one:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ants.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	859836

If you look closely, looks like ants have been eating this wall siding. Up close it's more obvious and much worse. This was with edge lenght on 1.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Like Morne's picture kind of shows. You get the jagged edges unless you tweak the settings so much the render times are exponentially high.
                      Which issue is that?

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

This one:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]28639[/ATTACH]

If you look closely, looks like ants have been eating this wall siding. Up close it's more obvious and much worse. This was with edge lenght on 1.
                        Can you send us that scene, we might find a way to speed the things up or to update the code to resolve such displacement artifacts.
                        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
                          Can you send us that scene, we might find a way to speed the things up or to update the code to resolve such displacement artifacts.
                          Thanks Svetlozar the email is sent to support with a stripped scene and the ticket number is #836909

I also mentioned this thread in the email
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

I was just browsing this topic and it brought to mind something. I recently was in touch with the chap that is creating Real Displacement Textures and he said this:

Just a tip: My demos are all rendered with octane. Octane brings the
                            fastest displacements that I know, because it uses voxels.
                            Is this something that could be introduced to VRay, or is it something VRay already does? I'm not entirely sure how voxel displacement works.
                            Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Thanks Svetlozar the email is sent to support with a stripped scene and the ticket number is #836909

I also mentioned this thread in the email
                              Thanks for the scene and the ticket number.

We've did some investigation on the scene and we have found that the edge flow of the geometry does not match the displacement map.
                              So what happens is that you would like to displace the geometry in a straight line but none of the vertexes of the geometry lies on that line and with insufficient number of subdivisions the stair/ant effect is observed. If you create a simple plane and apply the same material and displacement settings you will notice that the generated displacement will look much better just because the edge flow of the plane matches the texture.

This is not an issue and this cannon be solved in V-Ray, you have to input a more suitable geometry to get a better result otherwise the only option would be to use extreme subdivide settings for the displacement.
                              Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 19-02-2016, 08:01 AM.
                              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
                                Thanks for the scene and the ticket number.

We've did some investigation on the scene and we have found that the edge flow of the geometry does not match the displacement map.
                                So what happens is that you would like to displace the geometry in a straight line but none of the vertexes of the geometry lies on that line and with insufficient number of subdivisions the stair/ant effect is observed. If you create a simple plane and apply the same material and displacement settings you will notice that the generated displacement will look much better just because the edge flow of the plane matches the texture.

This is not an issue and this cannon be solved in V-Ray, you have to input a more suitable geometry to get a better result otherwise the only option would be to use extreme subdivide settings for the displacement.
                                Did you notice the subdivide modifier I have on there? I have set to not display in viewport so you may have missed it. The geometry is already subdivided into oblivian
                                Kind Regards,
                                Morne

Comment

Working...
                                X