• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better than Itoo Forest

Hey guys.
    Check this out.
    http://getskatter.com

There's nothing this good for Max, no?
    It shocks me what they do now with sketchup.
    Guido.

i dont see anything there that cannot be done in forestpack...?

Comment

Don't see anything spectacular there. Forestpack can do all this and more
      Plus, the new version 5 beta is blazingly fast with the latest VRay
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

the brush painting looks nice.. not sure if forest can do that. but then you can always use advanced painter to paint some boxes and convert to forest after. not quite so interactive though.

p.s. nice clickbaity thread title

"youll be SHOCKED how much better than forespack this is:"

Comment

yeah, well, it actually looks almost exactly like forest..

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
          the brush painting looks nice.. not sure if forest can do that.
          yes, it can.

Comment

You can use forest to paint areas of landscape or whatever. It's covered in their modern barn tutorial. This plug-in looks literally like a 100% copy of forest for SketchUp.

Comment

Originally posted by VelvetElvis View Post
              You can use forest to paint areas of landscape or whatever. It's covered in their modern barn tutorial. This plug-in looks literally like a 100% copy of forest for SketchUp.
              but with fewer options :P
              James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
              Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Oh...Ok.
                I need to get more in depth into forest I guess.
                Thanks.
                Guido.

Comment

The interface looks near identical too.

Comment

I agree...forest pack is the way to go, however, they need to work on a couple of things. For those who have migrated from multi-scatter, MS paint function is a bit more robust, but my biggest pet peeve is the Z axis location and the ability to move the forest object in the sub-object level on the Z axis. In Multi-scatter or paint, you can select the object in the sub-object level, move the selected object up or down on the Z axis. You cannot do this with FP..and I do not know why. To me, that's software 101. Also, the MS transform gismo of the object is at the original location. You can hit a hot key and zoom right in on the selected object and rotate, pan etc. around the selected object. As for the transform location in FP, it is always at the zero elevation even though your object may be a 500ft. So as far as navigating around your forest objects, it leaves a lot to be desired. I think they need to take a play right out of MS book on this one. Other than that....FP is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Smalerbi View Post
                      my biggest pet peeve is the Z axis location and the ability to move the forest object in the sub-object level on the Z axis
                      isn't there a spinner to locally offset any object on the z axis? in the geometry tab?

Comment

Hi!

I just wanted to take the opportunity to clarify how to move objects on the Z axis. When using a Surface, the default behaviour allows you move sub-objects around on the XY axes and Forest takes care of positioning them on the Z axis for you so that they remain connected to the surface. However you're also able to override this behaviour so that you can move sub-objects freely on Z axis as well, all you need to do is disable the Surface > Link to surface check-box. When this is turned off objects are movable on all axes, and if you still want to snap objects manually to the surface, you can click the Place Items button.

Hope that helps out and thanks very much for the feedback, it's always appreciated and we're looking into improving the gizmo issue.

Many thanks!

Paul
                        Paul Roberts
                        Training Manager - iToo Software

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Roberts View Post
                          Hi!

I just wanted to take the opportunity to clarify how to move objects on the Z axis. When using a Surface, the default behaviour allows you move sub-objects around on the XY axes and Forest takes care of positioning them on the Z axis for you so that they remain connected to the surface. However you're also able to override this behaviour so that you can move sub-objects freely on Z axis as well, all you need to do is disable the Surface > Link to surface check-box. When this is turned off objects are movable on all axes, and if you still want to snap objects manually to the surface, you can click the Place Items button.

Hope that helps out and thanks very much for the feedback, it's always appreciated and we're looking into improving the gizmo issue.

Many thanks!

Paul
                          Great, I didn't know that either. With all the FP options at our disposal, some get overlooked at times.
                          A.

---------------------
                          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

yes, that's quite handy. totally misunderstood smalerbi's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Roberts View Post
                              Hi!

Many thanks!

Paul
                              Thanks Paul for that tip, that was a big help. The only last refinement in the navigation department would be to have FP recognize the hot key, zoom selected in the sub-object mode. That would save some time.

Thanks......Scott.

Comment

Working...
                              X