Gamma in a vrmat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamma in a vrmat?

If I load a vrmat in max, inside it, what should I set all the bitmaps's gamma to?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

It depends on the image file you are using as map. Usually the setup is sRGB for 8bit file formats or Linear for HDRI or EXR files.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-02 12_34_04}.png
Views:	1
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	860015
    Last edited by tashko.zashev; 02-03-2016, 05:16 AM.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Your attachment doesnt work.
      But what I mean is this in my attached image. No matter what settings I use in the VRay editor for gamma and color space, it doesnt have an effect in what I see in the Max material preview. I tried gamma 2.2, 1, 0.4545 and color space lineasr, cirrected and sRGB. The max preview stays the same
      Click image for larger version

Name:	vrmat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	860014
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
        Your attachment doesnt work.
        But what I mean is this in my attached image. No matter what settings I use in the VRay editor for gamma and color space, it doesnt have an effect in what I see in the Max material preview. I tried gamma 2.2, 1, 0.4545 and color space lineasr, cirrected and sRGB. The max preview stays the same
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]28930[/ATTACH]
        Ah sorry about that, the image should be visible now.
        You are using layered materials in the Vrmat editor according to the screenshot not the V-Ray material one that I used to test. I will check again if there is something broken or not working properly.

BDW what are the versions you are using ? Have you updated to the latest service pack 3.30.04 ?
        Also the texture preview window doesn't update automatically on changed property. Have you tried the "Preview" option?
        Thanks.
        Last edited by tashko.zashev; 02-03-2016, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Yes I'm also on 3.30.04
          I'm not talking about the texture preview - I get I have to press "Preview".
          I AM talking about the ball preview in the Max material editor.
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Yes I'm also on 3.30.04
            I'm not talking about the texture preview - I get I have to press "Preview".
            I AM talking about the ball preview in the Max material editor.
            Thank you for the quick update Morne. Actually I didn't find any issues with this setup in my tests here. Would it be possible to test your file ? Perhaps I'm doing something different.

I did a short video :

Comment

Ah ok I thought it worked like Max and for a setting to take affect you just had to click somewhere else. Didn't know I 1st had to click "Save". Thanks for the video!

Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Ah ok I thought it worked like Max and for a setting to take affect you just had to click somewhere else. Didn't know I 1st had to click "Save". Thanks for the video!

It is actually more like Rhino UI and functionality

Comment

What if I don't have a texture in a slot, but just a swatch color? Doesnt look like there is a way to only change the gamma of the swatch color?
                  From what I can tell, most of the vrmats I have is setup with gamma 1.0 or some other strange gamma like 1.3.
                  This looks fine in Rhino, but in Max everything looks wached out. Is there an easy way to fix this across 246 vrmats?
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

Working...
                  X