Probabilistic lights question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probabilistic lights question

I've got a question that's bugging me a lately. Is there a reason why "Probabilistic lights" is on by default if this feature is used when there are a lot of lights in a scene (>50-100)? I would imagine that this will be a very small portion of scenes as most of the time people work with far less lights except for some rare occasions. I've found that 90% of the time this option introduces noise in my renders and I always turn it off. I sometimes even forget that it's on since it's hidden away of sight under the "advanced" mode and I'm going around searching what causes the noise in my scene then I remember that I forgot to turn Probabilistic lights off. So is there a reason that Probabilistic lights default to on? I'm really curious to know. Maybe I'm not using this feature correctly? Thanks in advance!
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

+1, also turning it off everytime. (Well, once, since I got a custom startup scene ^^)
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

So it's safe to say that it should not be used unless dozens or hundreds of lights are in the scene and there's no reason to be active otherwise?
      Last edited by Alex_M; 30-03-2016, 05:33 PM.
      Aleksandar Mitov
      www.renarvisuals.com
      office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
      AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
      64GB DDR5
      GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

I have noticed severe noise with this setting on and IES lights, so at least in this combination I never use it.
        Last time I checked I was on Vray 3.2.
        Hope it helps.

Comment

V-Ray 3.x allows loading a default render preset for every new scene, just turn that option off save the preset and the feature will be always disabled for every new scene created.
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
          X