No announcement yet.

PSA: Bluescreens with old dongle drivers and new NVIDIA drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also had very bad blue screen problem with latest vray and max 2018.3 in windows 10 (like 15 blue sceen/day). I downgraded to max 2017 and now I had a lot less crashes (2/day) but no blue screen. I think I changed my dongle on my other workstation when I switched to max 2017 so it could be the culprit but I just checked and my driver is 6.40.2400.500 12/14/2016...

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
    Little Antman
    See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
    Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

If you suspect it might be the dongle, you could experimentally register for an online trial and see if that works better (you will need to unplug the dongle once the online license is working).

But you should also keep in mind that a blue screen might mean that some other hardware component in your system is not working correctly (CPU, RAM, harddrive, GPU or motherboard).

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I remember someone had similar issue here on the forum when the dongle was plugged through the USB controller that was not directly on the motherboard. In his case, it was plugged into the hub inside of his monitor. Just wondering of that could be the case...

Comment

In my case the donle is plugged in on the MB. Anyways - after updating the drivers again it ran for 2 days straight without a hitch. I will continue to monitor but I think the driver was the issue like last time. Consider it that way until I post otherwise.
          Software:
          Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
          3ds Max 2016 SP4
          V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
          Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
          NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
          64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

So the computer in question ran for three days/nights straight (in addition to 3 single nights) without any issues whatsoever. I consider this BSOD issue solved (again) with the dongle driver being the issue (still) Seriously consider packing more recent drivers with your installation files please.

I am thinking about switching to online licenses... didn't make a decision yet though ^^
            Software:
            Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
            3ds Max 2016 SP4
            V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
            Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
            64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Working...
            X