Cancel Render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancel Render

Okay, I have a large model, which is moving kind of slow. This is expected, however I can't get my mind around why it takes 10 minutes to cancel. Is there anything I can do? No displacement and 128GB of RAM. While it is canceling, both my RAM and memory is maxed out for the 10 minutes.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

im not sure what you mean by "both my ram and memory are maxed out" do you mean "both my ram and cpu"?

and whatever scene you have that is maxing out 128gb id suggest has some issues :P

Comment

Yes, RAM and CPU. It's a mega scene.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

there are mega scenes and mega scenes. ive done a whole city with 80,000 trees and 2000 buildings and managed to shoehorn it into 32 gb. (just!) how big must it be to max out 128gb? id love to see a test.

Comment

btw do you use the "stop" button on the vfb? i find it seems to stop a render much faster than the cancel button on the render progress dialogue.

Comment

I'll try the top button. I am currently making proxies, which should help. it's a big house with a lot of landscaping (trees and grass).
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

so is it really maxing out 128 gb? something is wrong then. Its in very rare case that it should max the ram like that. Usually this means some object is too high on polys or displacement is cranked...and unloading that data from ram after the render will take that long (its a windows issue) if I recall correctly....
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I recently had a mega scene of 2 GB just for the max file and about 500MB for textures and proxies. If I worked too fast, max would crash. If I cancelled, it would take slighlty longer to cancel, but I had to wait about 5 minutes before I could use max again, otherwise it would crash if I did anything. I only have 32GB. I've come to accept that's just how max works on large scenes and I don't think it has anything to do with VRay. Make proxies of as much stuff as you can and also use XREFS, this helps a lot to prevent "weirdness"
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

Hello everyone!
                  In my case something strange happens with the ram in version 3.3
                  When I start the first render the scene once opened, this takes 16 gb of ram.
                  Then I cancel and start again but this time takes render 28GB.

Too weird is not it?

Why would this happen?

Comment

if you do things in max ( display maps in viewport, open material editor etc) it will load all your bitmaps into ram. since rendering will also load them into ram, (and hold them there for next time) you can find the ram going up significantly even after a completed first render. for this reason if im near my ram limits i will often save a scene, and reopen before hitting render ( or just submit to backburner and close max.)

Comment

I don't know, but when I unplug my light, the light turns off I guess I would expect that from 3DS MAX. It's faster for me to crash max and open it again.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

What is your "Dyn mem limit, mb" set to? I know in the past you have had it at 0 so it will chew up all the ram it wants. In the past for me with scenes Im working on a single puter here with 64GB of ram I would set it to something like 55,000 so that the OS and other processes are left with some ram to function, but when it has been set to 0 I have noticed issues with canceling and such where it can take quite a while to unload. In your case if you are set at 0 then I might try setting it manually to say 100,000 and see if that makes any difference.

-dave
                        Cheers,
                        -dave
                        ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

I've never really understood the Dyn Mem Limit. My machine has 64GB. We have a reasonably complex scene with a load of Laubwerk trees in it. When rendering, the RAM climbs up to about 26GB (more than some of our renderfarm has). Even setting the Dyn Mem Limit to 4GB makes no difference. Ram still builds up to 26GB.

Would converting all the Laubwerk trees to porxies help?
                          Kind Regards,
                          Richard Birket
                          ----------------------------------->
                          http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Yes, I always set it to 0. I'll try something else. I know Solid Rocks automaticlly calculated the RAM, which I am sure is a percentage.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

as pointed out an exterior with vegetation shouldn't use up to 128gb of ram.. unless you're copying every single tree with no instances, or have 3d displacement with high settings rendering at very high resolution.
                              if there's any displacement in scene, try to disable it from the global switches tab and see how it goes. for plants in general try always to use forestpack, even when placing single tree models it's very useful and efficient in keeping memory usage low.

Comment

Working...
                              X