laptop keeps powering down my dongle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop keeps powering down my dongle

My laptop keeps powering down my dongle, so vray cant find the license. Anyone know how to stop this from happening?

I have already tried disabling power management for the usb hub in the device manager.
    Also couldn't find any power management for the usbs in my bios.

Anyone know if there is anywhere else I could look.

Cheers
    Gavin Jeoffreys
    Freelance 3D Generalist

Hi Gavin, this problem appears with Windows 8.1 and above. Windows seems to be more aggressive with powering down / suspending USB devices - I have it happen with USB 3 hard drives quite a bit, and also with CorsairLink USB dongles that report temperature and other telemetry. The attached devices (usually with USB 3) are suspended and although they wake up, the request times out. Assuming that your issue is power save related, do the following:

[If you are not sure DO backup your registry]

Navigate to the following location in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\U SB\{random numbers}
    One of the sub-keys of USB, you'll see a bunch of IDs for each USB device, will represent the entries for the vray dongle. You'll need to find the correct key and below it change the values to 0:

AllowIdleIrpInD3 = 0
    DeviceSelectiveSuspended = 0
    EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled = 0
    SelectiveSuspendEnabled = 0

Close the registry entry and reboot.

Don't make these changes to all the USB devices, as you'll lose all your power saving features, only to the vray dongle entry. Alternatively, you can try plugging the dongle into a USB 2 only port, and if you only have USB 3 ports and a USB 3 hard drive or flash stick is plugged into an adjacent port (using the same internal hub), try moving either device to a different port.

Hope this helps, Ben
    Last edited by benb32; 13-05-2016, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks Ben, will give it a try.
      Gavin Jeoffreys
      Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

So in the registry I had three SUBKEYS in USB for service Wibukey2_64, I assume for the three different ports I have on my laptop.
        None of them had any of those registry entries in their device parameters so I added them. Restarted, but they seam to have had no effect. Still seams like the dongle is being powered down.
        Actually really annoyed with windows 8 power management. It seams that none of the custom settings I have in advanced power management and device manager are working.
        Anyone know if windows 10 any is any better?
        Gavin Jeoffreys
        Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Hmmmmm, have you checked and updated your dongle drivers. There have been a few threads here where drivers have solved the issues. Wouldn't focus too much on the belief that it's definitely a USB power saving thing.

Comment

It would be better indeed to update the WiBu-Key drivers using the guide bellow and do any additional changes only if needed:
            http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...YDriversIssues
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Thanks guys.
              Looks like that may be it. I was on 6.2 driver. Now on 6.3.
              Gavin Jeoffreys
              Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Working...
              X