Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glossy reflections in 1.45.70 painfully slow....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glossy reflections in 1.45.70 painfully slow....

Glossy reflections bring my renders to a snails pace. Is this temporary with the 1.45.70 build, or will it be this way in 1.5 as well? Is there anything I can do to speed these up?

I've reduced the samples on the glossy material down to 4 and naturally that's too grainey...if I leave it at the default 8, the grain is not too bad, but still visible but the render time is not acceptable at 8 samples...higher than 8 is out of the question..but needed to smooth the texture out.

Thanks for any advice,

Jeff

System specs: Dual Xeon 3.2 (1mb cache)
    2 GB RAM
    - Jeff Patton -
    http://jeffpatton.net/

There were some problems with glossies that slow them down quite a lot compared to the previous versions; those will be fixed for the next builds; in any case a scene demonstrating the problem is always welcome, so that I can verify that the problems have been really resolved.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Make sure you set your max depth set to one or two.

Comment

Ahh, I forgot to adjust the max depth. I reduced it down to 2 and that helped a good bit. So now I'm using 6 for the samples and 2 for the depth, it's a fair bit quicker (reasonable render times), but it still feels slower than the previous VRay version (when it comes to glossy reflections)

I can't submit this scene, but I can deal with a 25 minute render now, instead of the 1:15 hour render one from earlier tonight. Once I get this project completed, I will run some tests and use a scene I can post (if I have problems).

Thanks for the info & tips guys.

Jeff
        - Jeff Patton -

Comment

same here, about 30% slower.

but we switch to MR completly so no problem for us.

Comment

Hey peter008!

you switch to MR ? what are your opinion about the difference between MR and Vray ?

cheers
            olivier

Comment

peter stated in another thread that he's gone and wont be posting again. lets just everyone wave goodbye...

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Yea, with MR its about 120% slower and thats with no bugs, right pete!

Makes since to me

Tony

Comment

My thread....my little bitty sweet innocent thread has been violated by the OT bandit.
                  - Jeff Patton -

Comment

Working...
                  X