Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A way to Denoise baked textures?

Hi,
    is there a way to denoise the VrayRawGI pass from Render to texture?
    I'm currently waiting for the first of about 20 light maps. Rendering at a colthesh of 0.01
    Its noisy as hell and takes ages... Really don't want to render it at 0.005.
    Are all needed elements avalable for denoising with the commandline tool? Which would I need?
    Last edited by Ihno; 19-07-2016, 07:51 AM.
    German guy, sorry for my English.

Technically the denoiser can work without any additional render elements; they help to preserve detail, but are not strictly needed. For the VRayRawGI pass specifically, if you just save it as an .exr file and use the standalone denoising tool, it might actually give you something useful.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hm... seems like the commandline tool has problems to read the exr.
      error:Error reading raw imagefile [...]
      Are any special settings required? I'm saving from the render to texture dialoque, so it uses max own EXR exporter.
      Can I somehow use yours? Using Image to tiled multiresolution EXR converter didn't help.

Comment

Are any special settings required? I'm saving from the render to texture dialoque, so it uses max own EXR exporter.
        This shouldn't be an issue. Which V-Ray version are you using? V-Ray Denoiser tool seems to work fine with Render to textures exr files. Can you test on a simple scene? Also can you attach one problematic EXR file?
        Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I'm using Vray3.40.02. stable.
          After some further tests on a simple scene it seems to be resolution dependent.
          2048x2048 works 4096x4096 dosn't work.
          On my workstation and my computer at home.

Edit:The latest nightly fixed this issue.
          Thanks!
          Last edited by Ihno; 18-07-2016, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Is it somehow possible to let the denoiser denoise all EXR's in a folder regardless of the filename?

I thought I've seen a thread from one member wanting to make a batch file for that... But I can't find the thread.
            Last edited by Ihno; 19-07-2016, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Hm, I haven't tried it (other than animation), so not sure if it will work, but maybe you can try using wildcards in the -inputFile parameter along with -frameBlend=1

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Hello,

If the wild card option doesn't work you could use a batch file like this:

Code:
                @echo OFF

set IMGS_DIR=S:\temp\denoise\exrs
                set IMGS_EXT=exr
                set VDENOISE_LOCATION="S:\temp\denoise\vdenoise.exe"
                set VDENOISE_OPTIONS= -threshold=0.01 -mode=strong -useGPU=1 

for /f %%f in ('dir /b %IMGS_DIR%\*.%IMGS_EXT%') do (
                	call %VDENOISE_LOCATION%  -inputFile=%IMGS_DIR%\%%f %VDENOISE_OPTIONS% -autoClose=1
                )
                where IMGS_DIR is the location of your exrs, IMGS_EXT is their extension (exr but you could use others), VDENOISE_LOCATION is where vdenoise.exe is, and VDENOISE_OPTIONS are the vdenoise options you need.

Best regards,
                Yavor
                Yavor Rubenov
                V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Haha I was just about to post almost same. You were a little faster
                  Here is my batch file. It will denoise all exr/vimg files in the directory under which its stored. _folderDenoise.zip
                  It has threshold set to 0.008 and points to the standart install location of the denoiser (max 2016).

Thanks alot Vlado and Yavor!
                  Last edited by Ihno; 28-07-2016, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Is the BumpNormals element capable for beeing used as worldNormals layer for denoising baked textures?
                    At least it seems to produce the same map as the worldNormals Element if you put an ortographical camera above a plane.

Comment

It will probably work, yes. I have to try it though.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by Ihno View Post
                        Haha I was just about to post almost same. You were a little faster
                        Here is my batch file. It will denoise all exr/vimg files in the directory under which its stored. [ATTACH]31413[/ATTACH]
                        It has threshold set to 0.008 and points to the standart install location of the denoiser (max 2016).

Thanks alot Vlado and Yavor!
                        You rock!!! I've been asking asking Lele about something like this in the "vDenoise Command Line tool Helper (Maxscript UI)" thread that was posted but he stopped responding to it months ago...

Thanks for sharing! greatly appreciated
                        "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
                        Thomas A. Edison

Comment

You're welcome.
                          I'm glad someone find it helpfull.

Comment

Very cool thanks!

It took me a a few minutes to figure out how to use the .bat file. I thought I had to edit it to point to the location of the exrs I wanted to denoise. Then I had the idea to drop it into the folder with the .exrs and voila she's working! 5 minute render to texture and 11 seconds per image to denoise using GPU. I cant wait to compare the results with an hour long render to texture at .001 noise threshold.

Thanks
                            Last edited by maxnix; 22-01-2017, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X