New feature in 3dsmax 2017 unwrap modifier is a disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New feature in 3dsmax 2017 unwrap modifier is a disaster

So in 3dsmax 2017 the unwrap UVW modifier has a new "handy" Material ID selection ....

The problem is that it overrides the material IDs I have set on a lower level in the stack. Yes, the unwrap modifier is supposed take matIDs from the stack when it is first added (doesnt work properly of course), but it won`t change again if something is changed lower down in the stack (naturally)..

The problem is that 3dsmax have a modifier stack that I use extensively. This means I might have several unwraps in the stack, along with several symmetry modifiers (and others) to relieve myself from a lot of unwrapping. And finally I might set material ID s at different stages of the stack, although it usually happens on the bottom (mesh) level.
    Now, this workflow is broken. The whole point of a modifier stack is that if I want to unwrap the model at a certain level, I add an unwrap modifier. If I want to change my material IDs, I do this with a seperate modifier. By combining it, we only lose flexibility. I can no longer change material IDs down in the stack if there are unwrap UVW modifiers on top of it. And I can no longer use the symmetry modifier to propagate material ID changes if there are unwrap UVWs on top..

So now ALL my old scenes are broken, the modifier stack is handicapped, and my script to work on material IDs on many objects at once have to be redone and made more complicated to take the whole stack into account ...

Please tell me I got this all wrong and that there is actually an easy fix!
    Last edited by hardrock_ram; 14-07-2016, 05:01 AM.

Can you upload a sample file with this problem?
    Maxscript made easy....
    davewortley.wordpress.com
    Follow me here:
    facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

It`s no point in uploading a sample, since it`s by design in 3dsmax 2017.
      It`s as simple as that the unwrap UVW modifier has not only the ability to select by material ID (old functionality), but also to SET it, which is new. For anyone that`s using the modifier stack quite exstensive, this has major implications. It means that material ID changes that propagate through the stack will stop at the first unwrap UVW modifier, which it didn`t do before. Modeling, texturing and adding materials becomes quite more labour intensive and rigid beacuse of this. Plus it breaks old scenes.
      Last edited by hardrock_ram; 14-07-2016, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I think dave means that it would be easier to understand what you mean with a nice easy scene with 1 teapot and your issue
        Stan

Comment

I'll be that guy.... this post belongs in the "off-topic" forum as it has nothing to do with Vray.

That said, although the button layout is different, the behavior seems to be the same from 2016 to 2017...changes lower in the stack to the matID don't propagate to the Unwrap modifier. But isn't this what you describe as normal behavior in your second paragraph?
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

https://davewortley.wordpress.com/20...t-work-part-1/
            Maxscript made easy....
            Follow me here:
            facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

I've directed this at Autodesk's attention but a scene file where you have the problem that they can play with to see whats wrong will help get it fixed much quicker.
              Maxscript made easy....
              Follow me here:
              facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

Comment

The selector in the screenshot is new. It is not a bug or something related to any specific scene. It simply prevents changes in the material IDs to pass the unwrap_UVW modifier in the stack, which is new in 3dsmax 2017.
                This small thing creates MAJOR problems. As one of many things, it means that you can no longer model, add symmetry modifiers, add Unwrap_UVW on top of symmetry, and then edit material IDs in the bottom of the stack afterwards, since those matID changes won`t pass the unwrap_UVW modifier. This means you either have to reset the unwrap_UVW (and lose your unwrap), or you need to set material IDs on top of the stack, which means you cannot take advantage of the symmetry modifiers when you set material IDs. This is just one example, and I can easily give ten more of how this little switch breaks the modifier stack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unwrap_UVW problem.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	862633
                Last edited by hardrock_ram; 15-07-2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
                  I've directed this at Autodesk's attention but a scene file where you have the problem that they can play with to see whats wrong will help get it fixed much quicker.
                  Thanks . See the screenshot above and the problem description in my first post. I have also tried to contact Autodesk about this, but their support is litterally non-existent ...

Comment

Have to say I have been pretty darn specific. I described the problem and how it affects me. I just didn`t post a screenshot since the issue is about one single selector that is new. This is correct in my post above though ...

Comment

Well your picture makes it a lot easier to understand! Thanks, I've re-passed this along.
                      Maxscript made easy....
                      Follow me here:
                      facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate it .
                        I work for one of the biggest Autodesk clients, yet I cannot penetrate the wall they have put between themself and their clients ... I have tried it before you might say :P

Comment

Working...
                        X