Color shift question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color shift question

I've got a pretty straight forward set with even lighting. One thing I've noticed is that many times the color will shift on the angles that are more parallel to the camera axis. I've tried using Exponential as to output as flat as possible. I'm using a BlendMtl with a gloss coat. If I turn that off and render the base coat with no reflections, it looks pretty good. It seems to be something with glossy values (either as part of the base material, or used in a BlendMtl. How do I avoid this?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	885019Series C Mahogany.mat.zip
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

Not much to do to avoid it if there's glossy reflections with a fresnel. From your screenshot, looks like you're getting more light bounce from side lighting, and not much from top. Try increasing your environment light maybe.
    Or you can assign different IDs to the sides and that way stick it on a multimatte so you can hue shift only the sides in post to match the top.

What you can also do is stick the desk inside a studio setup which should give more even lighting
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. It's actually in a studio setup. I should have explained better, but the main complaint is that the top surface is going way too red compared to everything else. So I did as you suggested and added some additional light bounce to the top and that seemed to do the trick. I like the idea of different ID's, but the top geometry has a lot of polys so it's a bit of a pain to set that up and not include the side surfaces of the top piece. Anyhow, adding another plane light on the top did it. Thanks again.
      David Anderson
      www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
      Windows 10 Pro
      3ds Max 2023.3 Update
      V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
      Puget Systems
      TRX40 EATX
      AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
      2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
      128GB RAM