Negative Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negative Light

Ok I found an old thread where people were talking about "negative lights" -lights that can "cast" darkness, and why we need them, but there was no answer as to if they actually exist in vray. I know that these exist elsewhere, and would not be surprised that they do not exist in the "physically accurate" world of vray. But just in case I thought I'd ask if anyone has any ideas on how to make a vray negative light.
    --ds

just give the light's multiplier a negative value
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

It's so surprising that this works at all...

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Bizarro world! I have to remember way back, but if I remember my physics, nothing casts darkness. I suppose black space matter . Why would you need this?
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Does this work? I setup a basic scene and putting a negative number into the light didn't seem to affect the scene. One thing I noticed is the light would be visible until 0, where it would disappear, and then once negative it was a black ball that would cast shadow when another light lit it. But I don't see darkness being cast by a negative light.
          Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
            Does this work? I setup a basic scene and putting a negative number into the light didn't seem to affect the scene. One thing I noticed is the light would be visible until 0, where it would disappear, and then once negative it was a black ball that would cast shadow when another light lit it. But I don't see darkness being cast by a negative light.
            Make a new scene with a plane, teapot and 2 vrayplane lights. Set the one's multiplier to negative. Works fine for me (although I never needed to use this on an actual job)
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

This was a super old school technique before GI was a thing. instead of adding hundreds of lights to simulate bounce light, you add one big one and suck the light out of the corners to create shading.
              It was over before my first day at my first job, but I did work on a revision of a scene that had been set up with it. had to convert it to vray!

Comment

I see. I remember having to place lights under balconies because light didn't bounce. Or, I would have hundred of lights arrayed on a sphere. The good old days, not!
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com
                e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                  Make a new scene with a plane, teapot and 2 vrayplane lights. Set the one's multiplier to negative. Works fine for me (although I never needed to use this on an actual job)
                  Still isn't working for me... strange. Yeah luckily I never had to work during the times of having to cheat lighting that much. I only remember Light Tracer for Scanline rendering, which took ages to render but at the moment I was completely hooked on GI lighting.
                  Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                    Bizarro world! I have to remember way back, but if I remember my physics, nothing casts darkness.
                    You should meet my ex...

Comment

Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
                      Still isn't working for me... strange. Yeah luckily I never had to work during the times of having to cheat lighting that much. I only remember Light Tracer for Scanline rendering, which took ages to render but at the moment I was completely hooked on GI lighting.
                      same to me here, didn't see any change after i set one light to negative value, it look like the nagetive light is turn off.
                      Best regards,
                      Jackie Teh
                      --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.07 build 32575]
                      AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
                      Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
                      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Working...
                      X