Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in 3. rendering

Hi guys,
    just switched to the new vray. I'm on an exterior scene where I setup an ocean material with fog and other effects. Now I can see the ocean bottom lol, it's only coloured blue by the fog colour but not also "blocked" by depth. Did the multipliers change too? Or maybe my fresnel reflections are not rendering correctly? Not sure, everything is just so much different.

Also, I guess now vray handles objects with displacement differently since I don't see "unloading geometry" anymore but it takes much longer for the render to start now. I have a pretty big object (the stone shore) with displacement but on 2.5 renders started to render much faster. Maybe that's normal or better so the render renders faster overall.

Samples (I'm changing/working on the stone shore so that's why that's different )

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brioni-test-shore2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	885530

Name:	Brioni-test-shore3.jpg
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	885531
    www.hrvojedesign.com

Oh sorry, found the static displacement explanation, that caused longer compiling.

Reflection issue remains, not sure what's going on there. I created a new sun/sky system, put the sky in refl/refr override and still almost no reflections.
    Last edited by Crayox13; 01-10-2016, 02:44 AM.
    www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Found the second reason too, bump was killing the reflections, guess it's handled different now.
      www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Hm, that's a very large difference; it is true that bump is handled slightly differently, but that's too different... do you think you can post the scene or send it to support@chaosgroup.com ?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Did many changes that day to fix it so I don't think I have it anymore but I think mapping was off too. I'll try to recreate it.
          What do you think is causing these dark spots? I'm using SR with a very good presetting, also was not present on 2. AO is off.

Name:	Brioni-test-shoreNEW0004.jpg
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	863738
          www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Looks like GI splotches. Try rendering brute force.
            Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Yes but they shouldn't be there on these high settings.
              Also tried vray quick setting, used IM/LC as well, but now that area renders much darker. What do the quick setting affect too to cause that?
              www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

This particular thing could be because of Embree... it is has a somewhat worse precision than our old raycaster in such situations. Try turning it off and see if it helps.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Last edited by vlado; 03-10-2016, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Sweet, you actually answered my next question. Since it's a rather large scene, new vray rendered new artifacts on the walls where they meet floor (behind them). Zbuffer type issue. They are gone now that I turned off the embree.

Attached are the errors with embree on, I guess I should have it off for large scenes. That problems is fixed.

Do you know why a scene would render darker if I use "vray quick settings" render?

Name:	Brioni-test-shore0003.jpg
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	863741
                  www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Crayox13 View Post
                    Do you know why a scene would render darker if I use "vray quick settings" render?
                    Not right away... is it the same scene?

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

It's the gamma, with vray quick setting it was already gamma corrected. Though in colour setting both had gamma 2.2 Not sure why then. Is it handled internally?
                      www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Hm, that is strange, can you strip the scene and send it over so I can take a look? (peter.matanov@chaosgroup.com)
                        If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                        Chaos

Comment

Working...
                        X