Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility map?

Hey all.

Sorry if this has been answered before but i could'nt find it.
    Is there an equivalent to Brazils Utility Map in Vray?

Cheers, Jinx
    www.cgrepublic.com / My V-Ray blog

this is probably an obvious one. But What IS the utility map you speak of? what are you trying to do may be a bit more of an applicable question since not all of us (By definition, most of us.) Don't use brazil
    Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

Hi again. Sorry for my previous post. I should have elaborated a bit.

Afaik the utility material was originally created by Blur for max. To quote their synopsis :

"it allows the users to add behaviors to a material that may have, intentionally or not, been overlooked by the developer. Second, it allows you direct access to the outputs of the material's shade equation (sc.out.c and sc.out.t - color and transparency) so the user can really take a brute force approach to building a material. Third, it allows the user to control object visibility based upon ray level (the number of times a ray has bounced) so that you can render an object's reflections without rendering the original object."

In other words you can create som pretty fancy mats

A quick example would be to create a blend material and input it as the main material slot in the utility and then add a bump map that applies to all the materials you use in the blend slot.

You can prbably do alot more stuff but i really havent used it that much yet.

I tried this utillity map with Brazil (unfortunately where i am doing some freelance work at the moment they haven't got Vray... Their loss...) and it was pretty slow until i found out that Brazil has its own utility map/mat and renders 10 times as fast.

As I am a Vray user i was wondering if ther is something similar i could use? I found the mat quite handy.

Obviously i can use the original utility map from Blur but i suspect a VrayUtility would be way better and lightning fast.

Hope that helped

- Jinx
      www.cgrepublic.com / My V-Ray blog

Comment

Working...
      X