No announcement yet.

Image saved from vfb not the same ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In that case I take that back, I shouldn't have commented without first hand experience.

Your analysis/hunch is interesting, I'd like to know if there is a way to make Vray behave more like Corona in this area. Perhaps not feasible if increasing the bounces compromises rendertime too much.
    Last edited by Dan Marks; 08-05-2017, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skogskalle View Post
      Great, then I know whats wrong I usually render very bright images that dont have this issue...

About your solutions:

c) a curve-file would be great If I render locally. But im not 100% sure what happens if I render the animation on the Rebus or Ranch-farms, will they apply the curve or not?

b) For my current project I think a command-line tool would be perfect. If I understand this correctly I could then render the animationframes on a farm, saving the images using gamma 2,2, and then batch-convert the whole lot to srgb with the tool locally?? That would be great!

f) would be best I guess but you guys are usually alot faster to implement new stuff than Autodesk soo.....

d) I will use After Effects for this project so its a possibility. But I would prefer to render to 8-bit to save time downloading from the farm (very short deadline, and wonky internet access at home at the moment).

If you could write the command-line tool like in the next few days that would be perfect for me. If you dont have the time right now (which is totally fine) I will try the exr-method.

Big thanks Vlado. Fast feedback as always!
      K

skogskalle,

I'm running into the EXACT same problem regarding sRGB vs Gamma 2.2 that you described above.

Did you find a solution?

Like you, I'm trying to render an animation of a dark scene, so the differences between the two color gamuts are very noticeable.

Thanks in advance for for any advice!

Comment

As of v5 (and newer) with the VFB2 there is a gamma 2.2 option as well as an sRGB one that can be saved with the file.
        The very best way, however, would be to save OpenEXRs and add the color transform you need in post (as it is an animation, the likelihood you'll have some post-production seems high anyway.).
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
          As of v5 (and newer) with the VFB2 there is a gamma 2.2 option as well as an sRGB one that can be saved with the file.
          The very best way, however, would be to save OpenEXRs and add the color transform you need in post (as it is an animation, the likelihood you'll have some post-production seems high anyway.).
          nope. there is no option to save sRGB viewing transform.

https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...on#post1136810
          Marcin Piotrowski
          youtube

Comment

I stand corrected.
            Exr (from raw file output or "save all to single image" in the VFB, only.) and post it is, then, as we currently can't overrule the Max saver.
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

empty lookup table and save with gamma 1.0 is the simplest solution for now.

Marcin Piotrowski
              youtube

Comment

We're looking at a possible workaround (in code.).
                We have an idea, but it remains to be seen if it can be implemented.
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
                  empty lookup table and save with gamma 1.0 is the simplest solution for now.
                  I would not suggest this if done on 8bit images (stepping would be likely.), only to higher depth Exrs.
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                    I would not suggest this if done on 8bit images (stepping would be likely.), only to higher depth Exrs.
                    all within VFB2, instead of built-in view transforms:

Marcin Piotrowski
                    youtube

Comment

Oh ok, then the source is 32bpc.
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                      X