Suggestions for GI-setup for animation scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for GI-setup for animation scene

I am going to render an animation of a dancing robot in an interior scene.
    The scene is well lit with something that resembles three point lighting around the subject, with some additional lights for the interior. There are no windows, and both the camera and the robot move, slow and fast.
    The robot is often close to the camera, and it has a lot of details. However, all the details are on the outside, like an old tank. It does not have holes or openings where the inside has to be lit.

I have found that irradiance map alone works pretty well in these conditions, both in speed and noise. I have been lazy though, but now I want to try upping the quality a notch.

So my question is what kind of render setup should I start with? Quality is the number one priority, but I have to give rendertime a real consideration too. The quality aspect that is most important is not getting GI that "shifts" or change intensity as the camera and robot moves. Accuracy is nice, but less important.

Simple, BF/LC with a side of denoise

Comment

I will get acceptable rendertimes with BF, even if I want to it to be pretty noise free?

Comment

Originally posted by hardrock_ram View Post
        I will get acceptable rendertimes with BF, even if I want to it to be pretty noise free?
        What is "acceptable" regarding render times is subjective - and highly dependent on the hardware you throw at the animation. I think what FLP is saying is that with the recent improvements in Vray (faster BF is an important one) many of us have moved to BF/LC with the Denoiser as our first choice in rendering settings these days - especially if, as you say, quality is a top priority.

Give it a shot and see how it goes...

-Alan

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that I probably should use IM + BF.
            The look with BF was different and darker than I excpected, however I am unsure of what actually looks most right ...
            Last edited by hardrock_ram; 16-01-2017, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hardrock_ram View Post
              ...however I am unsure of what actually looks most right ...
              If you would like to see a rendering whose image quality is unrelated to any GI biasing, do a test using BF/BF.

-Alan

Comment

It`s not about image quality per se. It`s more about what works good in animations. I`m asking beause it takes some time to try a GI solution on a heavy (detail wise) animated scene. I need a few seconds with animation that is of good enough quality to determine it. And if its noisy, I need to determine if I just need to up the quality, or change solution. I am not asking about final render settings, I just want to start at a good place

Comment

Working...
                X