Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay 3.50.02 Feedback

Hi guys,
    V-Ray just keep getting better and better!

The first thing I wanted to try is XGen to 3ds max via the VRayScene object. It works! Thank you so much for this feature ~~~

I made a hair mesh in Maya using XGen and exported a VRayScene via the Render Settings > Translator > export to .vrayscene file and pressing render. You can also export from the XGen > Preview/Output > Output Settings > Operation = vrayscene but I really don't know what option is better or what the difference is. Maybe the export options are slightly different?

I then import the Hair into 3ds max using the brand new VRayScene Object and it renders perfectly

I wanted to ask how do I add a hair material from within 3ds Max to the VRayScene object? The material applied in Maya did carry over and render in 3ds max which is excellent but I would like to know how to apply materials from within max.

Is there a way to see what objects are in the VRayScene object and can you apply materials to those objects? I think it can be done in VRay for nuke if I remember correctly but can max have a VRayScene explorer to see the objects/materials in the VRayScene object?

I'm very happy with the new feature and I'm going to test if hair shaders done in XGen with expression will export to max via VRayScene Object.

Thank you for all the amazing updates.

~ Steve

Hello Steve,

For the moment it is not possible to assign existing 3ds Max materials to the .vrscene node. You can use the override box to do some things, including overriding of materials on objects in the .vrscene, however those materials are for the moment described in the vrscene format, rather than being taken from 3ds Max. This approach is good enough to override stuff with f.e. a simple grey diffuse material, but anything else becomes quite complicated (although possible in general).

We will be working on more user-friendly .vrscene overrides in the future. Other than applying 3ds Max materials to the contents of the scene, is there anything else you want to do with it?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hide/Unhide
      Modify object/vray properties
      would be handy.

Comment

Ok. All of these are doable with the overrides that we already have (although we definitely need a better UI for it).

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado.
          Just wanted to report something, the lock view-port doesn't work in the latest Beta 2.

Suggestion 1
          Also I wanted to ask what you think of the following suggestionClick image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	866256.

When I mouse wheel up and down, it jumps by factors of 100. I would like to input or better control the VFB zoom more like Photoshop. The picture shows where you could place a Photoshop style zoom percentage in the VFB.

Is this stupid or a subtle improvement?

Suggestion 2
          I wish that I could set and lock my camera but then Zoom into the camera view. Instead of zooming into the subject by zooming the actual camera, I wish that I could zoom into the image plane of my camera. I believe there is a script for maya that allows you to zoom into your own camera plane but not for 3ds max. Ill try to find it so you can see what I mean.

***Update***
          Its called "zoomerator-for-maya". Yes, I wish that was a thing max/vray could do. What do you think?
          http://cgdiary.tumblr.com/post/97160...or-maya-script
          Last edited by stevejjd; 20-01-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejjd View Post
            Hi Vlado.
            I wish that I could set and lock my camera but then Zoom into the camera view. Instead of zooming into the subject by zooming the actual camera, I wish that I could zoom into the image plane of my camera. I believe there is a script for maya that allows you to zoom into your own camera plane but not for 3ds max. Ill try to find it so you can see what I mean.
            You can already do that in 3ds Max, it's called 2D pan and zoom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbwAxa9sk_k

All it takes is for V-Ray to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Recon442 View Post
              You can already do that in 3ds Max, it's called 2D pan and zoom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbwAxa9sk_k

All it takes is for V-Ray to support it.
              Wow thank you! I didn't know that. Yes, can V-Ray support it?. But is he still moving the camera? ~ I want the camera view locked so Im not moving the camera but able to zoom into the picture plane of my camera just like in zoomerator-for-maya. I wish there were a video demo of zoomerator sommewhere to show you.
              Last edited by stevejjd; 21-01-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Wow thank you! I didn't know that. Yes, can V-Ray support it?. But is he still moving the camera? ~ I want the camera view locked so Im not moving the camera but able to zoom into the picture plane of my camera just like in zoomerator-for-maya. I wish there were a video demo of zoomerator sommewhere to show you.
                I have no idea if V-Ray can support it, but no, it does not move camera, it is only temporary mode. Your camera view will remain unaffected. If you have Max 2014 or newer, just try it. You will se how nicely it works.

Comment

Recon442 Great stuff, thank you ~~~

I was trying to think of those little features that are super convenient. I felt the need to set up my camera shot and lock it but also be able to zoom into the picture plane.

Also Recon442 what do you think of the other idea? = I don't like the VFB zoom as it jumps by factors of 100% So I think a simple solution would be a photoshop like zoom factor input and or slider for smoother zooming into the pixels of a render.

Comment

video of feedback straight from my camera
                    https://vimeo.com/200474783

Comment

Recon442 Great stuff, thank you ~~~
                      Also Recon442 what do you think of the other idea? = I don't like the VFB zoom as it jumps by factors of 100% So I think a simple solution would be a photoshop like zoom factor input and or slider for smoother zooming into the pixels of a render.
                      I don't know. I never needed finer zooming. VFB is not an image editor where I ever needed that. I don't zoom in that often, as I mostly see just pixels, not more detail to evaluate It would not bother me if it was in there, but I think that it's not there because it just does not pay off. Zooming in by doubles and zooming out by halves is very easy to implement, you just cover 4 instead of 1 pixels, or display 4 pixels as 1, but with smooth zooming, that's another different story. You need to implement some sort of interpolation. And when it comes to VFB, that will probably cost some performance. It's just hard to say if that reduced performance is worth having smooth zoom

Comment

Could it be that vray takes too much performance? Especially when rendering big images with the progressive sampler. I'm currently rendering a 8k×2k stereo spherical image with low thread priority. And my computer freezes most of the time. I waited 20 minutes for being able to cancel... i've a 5960x with 32gb ram, 10 gigs are in use while rendering.
                        Last edited by Ihno; 27-01-2017, 11:34 AM.
                        German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

Originally posted by Ihno View Post
                          Could it be that vray takes too much Performance? Especially when rendering big Images. I'm rendering a 8k×2k Stereo spheral image with low thread priority currenty. And my computer freezes most of the time. I waited 20 minutes for being able to cancel... i've a 5650x with 32gb ram, 10 gigs are in use while rendering.
                          Is this in production or active shade ?
                          What's your RPP and BundleSize ?

Best,
                          Blago.
                          V-Ray fan.
                          Looking busy around GPUs ...
                          RTX ON

Comment

It's the Progressive sampler in production mode. Bundle size is set to the default, 128. I'm not using DR does the bundle size have an influence than?
                            Last edited by Ihno; 27-01-2017, 11:36 AM.
                            German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

Working...
                            X