RT and GPU Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT and GPU Questions

I've been trying to get my head around all the aspects surrounding RT and GPU rendering. I'm a solo freelance arch viz person with moderate work load and home office. I'm specing a new system and I'm striving to set it up to potentially/hopefully take advantage of RT. Thinking good system but not bleeding edge. $3-$4K. Here's a link to my parts list so far. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NjvKkT

I've read the vray GPU rendering guide and followed thru some of the discussions on this forum. Especially the "GPU BOX" thread started by glory bound. I think I need a GPU for my head because I'm having difficulty processing all this. Hopefully my questions aren't foolish or cause any confusion.

Am I correct in my understanding:

1) It's possible to use RT in CPU mode and not use GPU?

2) If I want to work with RT GPU I should have two video cards? One for the monitors/shaded viewports and one to process the RT? If yes I see the Titan 12G card is the best possible for this, but would a GTX 1070 8 G be reasonable?

3) I understand there is a memory limit and so, if using an 8G card for RT, then the scene must not exceed 8G. I don't often exceed that but have recently worked on a scene or two with lots of 3D vegetation (using forest pack) that exceeded that. So in that case one would revert to CPU rendering?

4) Scenes rendered in RT will not appear the same as scenes rendered in regular CPU (bucket mode BF/LC)? This seems like a pretty big caveat. I like the idea of using RT for all the test renders to get materials and lighting all tweaked but I'm concerned if I do that and then render with CPU it would not look the same?

5) If I use RT in CPU mode for test rendering would that then look the same as rendered in regular CPU (bucket mode BF/LC)?

Thanks for any help in getting a better understanding of this.
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Hey, on the question.

1. Yes, of course.
    2. Having two GPUs is better, since you can have a dedicated GPU for the OS UI / Monitor. If you use the same GPU for raytracing and monitor, the OS UI might become sluggish. V-Ray 3.5 has "Low GPU thread priority" option, which tries to alleviate this problem, but having a dedicated GPU for display is recommended.
    Keep in mind that the GPU for the display can be different (cheaper/smaller). 1080 and Titan X Pascal are both great GPUs for raytracing. The Titan X Pascal is about 40% faster and has 4GB more memory, but is pricier as well. For display GPU - it depends on how complex you viewport is, but usually 960/1060 are great.
    3. Yes, using the RT CPU in those cases is always an option. The GPU memory usage is greatly reduced in 3.5 as well.
    4. They will not match exactly, but as long as you use supported features, they should look similar enough.
    5. If you use V-Ray 3.5 IPR, it will match 1:1 the Adv (it is basically interactive Adv).
    Another option is to use V-Ray RT CPU as production render, it will match the interactive V-Ray RT CPU (they are basically the same engine).

Some (very) short articles that can save you some headaches:
    1. This and this guides to GPU rendering.
    2. V-Ray GPU 3.5 new features review.
    3. FAQ.
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

Hi and thanks for quick and comprehensive reply!

I had read those articles you provided links to. I saw those links you posted in another thread. Except for the FAQ which I will check out.

You have definitely helped to clarify things for me. As always, reading asnd getting educated about it is necessary but I'm going to have to actually start using it to really get it.

Thanks again!
      mark f.
      openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Comment

Glad to help. Ping us if there are any troubles / questions.

Best,
        Blago.
        V-Ray fan.
        Looking busy around GPUs ...
        RTX ON

Comment

Working...
        X