Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray sterescopic VR animations/pano's

Hi,

Been playing around with stereoscopic 360° pano's a few times, but still I have some questions/issues on how to properly render and export these, especially for video.

I've read the Vray guide to VR, and the first question is about the actual resolution of the images.
    Based on these examples, here are some good choices to use depending on your content:
    - Video with faster motion: 2048 x 2048 top/bottom (each eye is 2048 x 1024) at 60 frames per second.

- Video with lots of detail: 3840 x 1920 top/bottom (each eye is squeezed at 3840 x 960) at 30 frames per second.

Both have a different aspect ratios in the end, so how do viewers handle this, and will this difference in aspect ratio not cause problems in different viewers as it expects a 1/1 ratio for example?

The only way I found to view these stereo pano animations is with youtube (using google cardboard, without the need of any other additional app).

Which also brings me to a second question, what format to export the video in, as h.264 codec has a limited vertical resolution.
    Youtube specifies this for video:
    we recommend that you export your content in over-under equirectangular format with a 1:1 aspect ratio at a resolution of 5120x5120 or higher, up to 8192x8192. Maintain square pixels (i.e.,1:1 pixel/scale aspect ratio). There should be no letter/pillarboxing and all pixels should be used. The resulting image should appear horizontally stretched.

What file type or codec supports these kinds of resolutions?
    Also they state that it should look horizontally stretched, which isn't the case if you have a top/bottom setup with square dimensions.
    To get it on youtube with a h.264 codec I had two options: render a square aspect at 2304*2304px, or make it 2/1 at 4608*2304px. I was unable to create a higher res video file (like the 5120*5120px as suggested by youtube).

In general, I understand how to create stereo 360° images with vray, also animations, but what is very unclear is how to get these images and/or video's to the audience (which apps, which resolutions, which filetype, which aspect ratio etc...). For example it would be silly to render a top/bottom animation at 3840*3840px if in the end you want it on youtube and they squeeze the video to 3840*1920.

My goal is to create a 3D flythrough 360° stereoscopic animation, that people will view through sony's playstation VR solution. But it would be nice if people could shed some light on their workflow regarding stereoscopic VR animations, for whatever device it might be displayed on.

Thanks for any help,

Wouter
    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

(sorry, max resolution for h.264 is 4096*2048 when using a 2/1 aspect ratio)
    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Working...
    X