Light Beam seperation through multiple layers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Beam seperation through multiple layers

Hi all, I was working on a project and then got side tracked with making a physically accurate light beam being broken up and recombined like in a projector. It is actually working for the most part, the white light gets separated out to red and cyan through my cg dichroic mirror, but then on the next dichroic mirror I can see it reflects green (like it should) it just doesn't bounce the beam of light like in the first dichroic mirror, the blue beam should also be getting bounced 90 degrees. The beam of light is a standard Max direct light (using the fast caustics hack http://www.cg-blog.com/index.php/201...stics-vray.htm) being shot at very high power through vray fog. I've attached an image and then what it supposed to do. I've tried increasing reflection/refraction on materials and globally, increased GI bounces, increased caustic amount, nothing seems to help!
    Attached Files

Hey

Did you increase reflection/refraction/global settings depth high enough ?

Can you upload secene?
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I set the override depth to 20, which I feel like should be fine for going through one piece of glass I've attached a stripped down scene...thnks for the help!
      Attached Files

Comment

Is this what you are after?Click image for larger version

Name:	LightStuff.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	866484beamsplitter01.zip

The issue was that you used "Affect Shadows" affect shadows is a "Fake" system as far as I remember that job was to simulate caustics going through glass and filling/lifting up shadows... It was made so that we have lighter shadows when we render glass but don't have to do caustics... - unless I'm totally wrong which can totally hapen :- )

Let me know if this was the effect you were after?

Edit 1 ahh I see ur screnschot... right I'm still offf... leme see if there is more that is wrong sigh.

EDIT 2

Ok so some more work... I could not get ur scene to render closer so I reset vray settings and I was able to get a little closer... Also quite interesting GI result...
        beamsplitter03.zipClick image for larger version

Name:	LightsRawJPGClamp.jpg
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	866487Click image for larger version

Name:	LightsRawJPG.jpg
Size:	496.2 KB
ID:	866488
        Can attach EXR if u like. But the super bright render is how it rendered, then I put max negative exposure in vray VFB and compression.

What should prism do ? What matterial should it be?
        Last edited by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal); 10-02-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Hey thanks! Very cool! Yeah I was watching a vray tutorial on how to do a prism (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr7-...re=c4-overview) And was wonder if since I was able to do this, I could actually recombine the light and shoot it out. I don't know if the geometry of the prisms is right, or if there are too many, I obviously had not gotten the scene far enough to try that yet. Or I dunno, was curious to see if just something cool happened.

Comment

Some more weird stuff hehehe... cant merge it back to white tho... need some1 with more understanding :- )
            Click image for larger version

Name:	LightsFancy_01.jpg
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	866489Click image for larger version

Name:	LightsFancy_02.jpg
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	866490Click image for larger version

Name:	LightsFancy_03.jpg
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	866491

Comment

Got it, you had to add 2 more dichroic mirrors to the prism. I ended up using 2 planes to reflect and add the light together again.
              Attached Files

Comment

To add the light back together there are 2 planes, in an X shape, one plane is reflecting blue and refracting yellow, the other is reflecting red and refracting cyan. They have an IOR of 1.0. cThose are inside a cube with an ior of 2.417. I also turned the exposure down by 4 stops, although i could have probably just turned my light down too. Pretty fun! I was trying to make a lens to widen the angle of light coming out, but that isn't workign yet. Next it would be sweet to actually make it project an image, or an animation. Thanks for the help!
                Attached Files

Comment

Haa looking cool, can you post scene?

Regards
                  Dariusz

Comment

Yeah here it is, I made the prism spin, disco show! Have fun!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X