No announcement yet.

What is 3ds Max's native displacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is 3ds Max's native displacement?

Hi,

when looking at the displacement settings in system tab, I've just realized there's this checkbox I never touched, and when I read the tooltip, it says this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	overridemax.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	886873

I never knew 3ds Max has its own displacement... Could anyone explain how the native Max's one works?

And when I am already making a thread, I have one more option. The displacement slot in VrayMTL which is controlled by this default displacement rollout is equivalent of 3D displacement in VrayDisplacementModifier? Or is it equivalent of subdivision one? Or is some other method that is not found in VrayDisplacementModifier?

Thanks in advance.

The 3ds Max native displacement can work in two ways:

a) If there is no "Disp approx" modifier on the object, the vertices of the object's mesh are simply moved along the vertex normal by an amount proportional to the displacement texture in the material.
    b) If there is a "Disp approx" modifier on the object, at render time 3ds Max adaptively subdivides the object's mesh in an attempt to capture the details of the displacement map. The "Disp approx" modifier provides a variety of subdivision methods and adaptation criteria.

The displacement slot in VrayMTL which is controlled by this default displacement rollout is equivalent of 3D displacement in VrayDisplacementModifier? Or is it equivalent of subdivision one?
    It is equivalent to the "3D displacement" one.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      The 3ds Max native displacement can work in two ways:

a) If there is no "Disp approx" modifier on the object, the vertices of the object's mesh are simply moved along the vertex normal by an amount proportional to the displacement texture in the material.
      b) If there is a "Disp approx" modifier on the object, at render time 3ds Max adaptively subdivides the object's mesh in an attempt to capture the details of the displacement map. The "Disp approx" modifier provides a variety of subdivision methods and adaptation criteria.

It is equivalent to the "3D displacement" one.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Ah thanks! I actually completely avoided disp. approx modified to this day. It seems to be quite old solution, but what it does is definitely interesting

Comment

Working...
      X