vray 3.5 and Max 2017 license server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray 3.5 and Max 2017 license server

i have max 2016 and vray 3.4 installed and have a vray license dongle.

I have now installed max 2017 and vray 3.5. I got a message on install about online license server. Not sure what that means. Everything seems to be working. Do I still need to use the dongle or....?

I'm going to migrate all of this to a new computer within the next 2-3 weeks.

Thank you.
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

If the current license server is installed and running on the local machine and all licenses are stored on a Dongle, then you can choose from 2 options when upgrading to 3.5
    *) to keep the old license server installed which will serve licenses for 3.5 as well
    From the first installation window click on Customize and switch to "remote V-Ray license server" with Primary license server address : 127.0.0.1 (should be set by default)
    *) to upgrade to the new online license server and activate your Dongle from the system panel > https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...line+Licensing

If you are currently using remote licensing (license server and dongle on a server machine) then make sure that the V-Ray license client configuration utility is configured properly after the 3.5 installation.
    Last edited by tashko.zashev; 14-02-2017, 02:18 AM.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I'm sorry but this is confusing to me. I have dongle on local machine (not server).

Older install of Vray 3.4. loads and works correctly in Max2016.

New install of Vray 3.5 seems to be loading and working correctly in Max 2017.

I have already installed Vray 3.5 so I cannot click on Customize. I can select the Vray Online License Server from the start menu. That opens a browser window with localhost:30304/#/ in the address bar and has a Chaosgroup License Server 4.2.0 page displayed. there is a message "Update Available: License Server 4.3.1" There are 3 buttons:
      Online Licensing= Green and drop down choice of de-activate
      Offline Licensing= Gray
      Dongle= Green and drop down shows serial Number and has blue button "UPGRADE"

As I said everything seems to currently work. Should I "UPGRADE"?

I'm going to be re-installing on new system with Windows 10 in next couple of weeks. Do I keep using the dongle on new machine? Any other specifics I should be aware of when migrating vray to new system?

Thank you in advance for your ongoing help!
      mark f.
      openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Alright, it looks like you have already installed the Online license server and your Dongle is correctly found by the license server (green icon). So everything should work fine with the licensing at your side.
        The last version (online license server update) is required in case that your machine has the latest Webu key drivers installed. There was a problem with these drivers and our license server 4.3.0 and in this situation we recommend OLS upgrade. However, you can upgrade to 4.3.1 which work with all Wibu driver versions.

I'm going to be re-installing on new system with Windows 10 in next couple of weeks. Do I keep using the dongle on new machine? Any other specifics I should be aware of when migrating vray to new system?
        It's the same setup as before. Install V-Ray plugin for your Max version and then if the dongle will be on this new machine, install the License server as well.
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Understood and thank you Tashko for clarifying that for me.
          mark f.
          openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Working...
          X