Material settings crippling my pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material settings crippling my pc

I've tried to recreate plastic which has a smokey transparency, but it is crippling my pc when I render. A render takes 5 times as long with the material in scene than when I hide it. Can anyone help me refine this material and improve the rendering times?

Here are my settings -

I'm using max 6 and the new beta version of vray.

Hope you can help.

CTZ

Hi
    you can try switching on Interpolation for both reflection and refraction .. you will need to play around with the settings to get the desired affect ... but it should be quicker.
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Hi

for me glossy reflections and refractions start to get the most timeconsuming part in renderings.

think with a subdev amount of 16, sixteen rays have to be traced of off each pixel on your material.

so of course you could try to lower this value, also could force the material only to render one or two rfl bounces which also can make it faster.

but as natty told, this is a place for try and error.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for your advice guys. I will give it a go and see if things improve!

Comment

actually, if it follows the same theme as the other settings, its actually the square of the subdivs number?

http://www.vray.info/entry.asp?entryID=100

just a guess, but it would make sense if the terminology was the same internally across the types.
          Very much looking forward to being able to use the 'Global Subdiv Multiplier' in the betabuilds some day!
          Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

Yes, 6 subdivs takes 36 samples, 8 subdivs takes 64 samples, 16 takes 256 etc..
            Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

Working...
            X