speed tree and vray!! urrrr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed tree and vray!! urrrr

i just tried a quick test: speed tree is driving us insane with vray!

1 x speed tree model
    standard materials
    fixed rate
    a whopping 9minutes!!!

1 x speed tree model
    vray materials
    fixed rate
    2minutes and 37secounds!

but wait!
    3dstudiomax's awesome scan line renderer
    1 x speed tree model
    standard materials
    a massive 11 secounds!

what's going on with that?
    vray is causing some major difficulties for us when creating trees and planting with speedtree, actually any tree software using opactity maps. we now have to weigh up using vray at all for current animation projects?
    any ideas?

Tonym
    Tony MacDonald
    Arterra Interactive

convert tree materials to vray material.
    Reflect, repent and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Comment

thats what i did but the render times are still incredibly high in comparison to the scan line renderer.

its faster to render the trees out seperately with the scanline render and to composite them in the animation, than it is to render the entire scene out with vray.

TonyM
      Tony MacDonald
      Arterra Interactive

Comment

>>its faster to render the trees out seperately with the scanline render and to composite them in the animation, than it is to render the entire scene out with vray.

do it this way. that's what scanline is good for. it's the more "professional" approach anyway.
        Marc Lorenz
        ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
        www.marclorenz.com
        www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

this IMO is one failing of a renderer like vray thats "raytracing" all the time. Maybe using the vray displacement as a clip map will help speed things along.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I would tend to doubt it, because the displacement generates geometry on the fly.. so you would most likely get a speedup for A tree.. but not be able to use more then one or two :P
            Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

Another issue is that it is faster to change the replicate value of vray to instanciate with speedtree

Comment

are you usng the latest vray with their opacity map slot? or the refraction method with ior of 1.0?

and why use fixed rate. whats wrong with adaptive?

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

he said hes using the latest vray with the opacity slot in another thread.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Heres what I found with a test. Used an aec max tree. With just 1 tree, scanline was faster. But when I added 2 more trees, vray became faster. There was no gi, antialising or map filtering for both. used vrayshadow for vray and raytraced shadow for scanline.

Add 3 more trees and vray becomes even faster. Now if you use shadowmaps, then max becomes alot faster again. So I guess it boils down to what kind of shadows you want. You can use shadow maps since it blurs the map and you cant really tell if your using opacity mapped leaves or not. Cant get away with that using tree planes though.
                    percy

Comment

Working...
                    X