Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume light with V-Ray Shadows ?

Hi,

when i enable V-Ray shadows for my spotlights then my volume light effect is not visible.

What do i have to do to get V-Ray shadows and volume light effect?

And one more question.

Is skylight GI blocked by a glass window in Vray?

TIA!

Nobody knows?

Im sure it´s a not a big deal but i don´t know what to do.

Comment

You can't get volume shadows but there is a third party plugin for basic shadows to work with volumes. Can't think of the name at this time. If you do a search on the forum you'll find it.

--Jon

Comment

So it´s not possible to render V-Ray Shadow and volume light effect together?

I have to use shadow maps for my lights to render the volume light effect with V-Ray?

Will this change with version 1.5?

Comment

I just render them in scanline and comp it in. Its a cinch, and since volume lights will add GI, it really slows down a render

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

But i want the GI.

Comment

nevermind then...

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Not sure if or when it will change. The plugin I described should give you cast shadows with VRayShadows just not Volume Shadows. Man I can't remember what it's called still. Did you find it?

Are you saying you want the GI from the volume? Wouldn't that be almost unperceived? Seems like you could simulate it somehow with a non-renderable self-illuminated cone or something though.

Just remembered. ScatterVL is what it's called

--Jon

Comment

Thanks both of you.

But i think ScaterVL is for Max 4/5 only.

What i want is render light coming out of a cave.
                  I use Max spotlights and used V-Ray shadows for it and setup the volume light effect and the effect was not visible.

Then i have tested with shadow maps and the volume light was visible.

I know there are workarounds to get what i want but im suprised that the V-Ray shadows did not work with the volume light effect.

Comment

http://www.afterworks.com/SVLfirst.htm

No Max 6 mentioned. This volume issue is a max volume light limitation, max volume lights can only use shadow maps....
                    Two heads are better than one ...
                    ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Ha-ha

Well here is my method:
                      you can get volume light with v-ray shadows if don't use standart 3dsmax volume light. It's work great with fr volume light. I don't know why its possible, but result is great

Comment

I think fR Volume light works because its more of a rendering effect rather than true Volume light.
                        Natty
                        http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X