No announcement yet.

subdivision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the more I use the new subdivision, the more I like it. Heres a totally fooked up mesh I tried to create using the terrain compound object. Its quite jacked up. Its shown before subdivision and displacement.

After subdivision/displacement:

another: (just scaled mesh down)

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Holy %$@#
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Nice.... really nice... questions... did you use view dependence? Did What about rendertimes?

Comment

couple more tests. Renders for these were about 5-7 minutes. Anyways Im really loving the new displacement engine.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

What textures did you used for these tests, percy? Simple hires textures as displacement or what?

Comment

displacement is just some mix maps of procedural maps. no bitmaps for displacement. The textures for the mesh are the same as the displacement, but I put some fairly hires textures in the procedural slot.

Comment

nice procedurals percy
                Dmitry Vinnik
                Silhouette Images Inc.
                ShowReel:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

thanks. whats funny is I setup the procedurals, tried a test render and this is what I got. Haven't tweaked them at all. sometimes ya just get lucky I guess.

Comment

Those last two look amazing. Would be interesting to read what your thought on building that material were. I don't quite get what you're saying about a map for subdivs and for displacement though.

--Jon

Comment

Im working on a little workup of the material that Ill post later today hopefully.

Comment

Great

Just hope it dosn't distract from your work on the contest. Looking really good BTW.

--Jon

Comment

heres a screenshot of my shader workup. Heres how I set it up:

The displacement map is very simple as you see. Just a mix map with two submaps, with one sub submap below that. Couldn't be simpler.

For the actual shader, I copied the displacement map to the diffuse slot of a vrayshader. Then I took several fairly hires textures and put those into the slots of the procedural maps. if the procedural map slot was very dark, then I used a fairly dark texture. Same for grayish and same for light. That way when it comes to the displacement, the deeper the area of the mesh, the darker the texture. Kinda gives it a dirty look for recessed areas and a lighter sun bleached look for higher areas.

If that doesn't make sense, just ask away...lol

I tried rendering an animation with incremental add to see if vray would have a problem with the subdivisions changing the poly count, but it rendered fine. Would post the anim, but I rendered using the damn vray buffer and forgot that it has issues saving out files. So all the frames rendered fine in the vray buffer window, but the saved frames are black.

Ill rerender it again tonight and post it tomorrow.

Comment

Woha, that is very impressing. All of it.

Yea, this will definetly change the way I work and model. As your pictures clearly show, you can create really jaggy geometry and still render it and get ace results. If you then add the displacements, well you got a "winning" situation as someone mentioned.
                            Quite mind-boggling, what we will be able to do with this feature.
                            Image having a very large terrain, out of tottally unsmoothed geometry. Then you have a very large city of say 500,000 faces that all have no smoothing. If you then add subd smoothing and displacement mapping you got one enormously big scene rendered hopefully with no problems. This would have been totally impossible in max before. We would be forced to use perhaps 50-100 times less geometry since 3 iterations take 64 times more memory

Also guys, does maxScript work for Vray? I could create some nifty tools for Vray esp ways to control this smoothing if it's possible to access it with maxScript.
                            Also how is this handled. Is it a special subd smooth modifier or does it apply this to the meshsmooth modifier or...?

/Andreas

Comment

Can't wait to see it. Did you use higher image sampling for the animation? I completely understand what you're saying. I've done this a few times too. I guess I was just wondering what combination of procedural you used. The cellular and noise came out really nice together.

--Jon

Comment

Also guys, does maxScript work for Vray? I could create some nifty tools for Vray esp ways to control this smoothing if it's possible to access it with maxScript.
                                Also how is this handled. Is it a special subd smooth modifier or does it apply this to the meshsmooth modifier or...?
                                There is MaxScript access for VRay. Not sure about the subdivisions feature and MaxScript yet but it's currently part of the Displacement mod.

--Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X